I'm a private spacefarer in the year 2050. What physics do I need to know?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Krunchyman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics Year
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Krunchyman
Messages
35
Reaction score
15
It's in the year 2050 and private spacecraft are as cheap and plentiful as Cessna Skyhawks were 40 years ago.

I'm a well-endowed spacefarer looking to get my own spacecraft and license; what physics am I going to need to know to operate my craft around celestial objects, e.g. the earth, moon and nearby asteroids?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Krunchyman said:
It's in the year 2050 and private spacecraft are as cheap and plentiful as Cessna Skyhawks were 40 years ago.

I'm a well-endowed spacefarer looking to get my own spacecraft and license; what physics am I going to need to know to operate my craft around celestial objects, e.g. the earth, moon and nearby asteroids?
None. By that time, the autopilot will likely be smarter than you are.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ryan_m_b, ISamson, berkeman and 3 others
Yep. In Alan Dean Foster's HUMANX 'verse people like Flinx can travel among the stars without more than minimal skills and a good autopilot.
 
Last edited:
phinds said:
None. By that time, the autopilot will likely be smarter than you are.
I agree.

I imagine that'd you'd have to know as much about the physics of gravity as a pilot would have to know the physics of lift (which is probably none.)
 
newjerseyrunner said:
I agree.

I imagine that'd you'd have to know as much about the physics of gravity as a pilot would have to know the physics of lift (which is probably none.)

Best to understand lift before flying airplanes.
 
stefan r said:
Best to understand lift before flying airplanes.
I suspect that saying that in 2050 will be like saying today that you need to understand internal combustion engines in order to ride in a self-driving car.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ryan_m_b
If you plan on going on a zero g walk, you'd better at least understand Newton's laws.
 
People used to need to be able to read a map if they were going very far in a car.