Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm glad it didn't blow my nose off!

1. Jul 12, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"I'm glad it didn't blow my nose off!"

Lightning: Into the foot, and out the nose ring
    http://www.breitbart.tv/html/129203.html
    [apparently]

The sad thing is that although this girl and her mother think she's alright, severe shock victims can first exhibit symptoms of cellular damage, and other damage to organs, long after the initial event. From what I understand, there is no way to know if she has been severely injured or not, for years to come.

Once upon a time, telephones were one of the most common conduits for lightning strikes. A strike could hit the phone line some distance away, and direct the energy right into one's ear and brain. Wireless phones have pretty much eliminated that problem, but now we sit at computers that are often plugged in for power. Whenever I hear a lightning storm approaching, I unplug and disconnect the DSL.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2008 #2
    Re: "I'm glad it didn't blow my nose off!"

As long as she's still cute.

4. Jul 12, 2008 #3

yup...I was sitting next to my computer during a lightning storm once. Everything was on...and then all of a sudden...a discharge occurred straight from my monitor. I wasn't in the path...though it still shocked the hell out of me.

5. Jul 12, 2008 #4

:rofl:

6. Jul 12, 2008 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why would you want to turn on the garden hose after a storm? I'm glad she's not seriously hurt.

I always unplug my computer and wait with doing the dishes until a lightening storm has passed.

7. Jul 12, 2008 #6

Monique,you shouldn't be doing dishes during a storm with lightening. If your home or apartment should get hit, water may conduct the bolt right to you. Please read
    http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/more.htm Look under the Myths heading. No showers either.

8. Jul 12, 2008 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's why I don't :smile:

Last night there was a lightening storm and I hesitated whether to go and brush my teeth, I was really tired so I did, but with some apprehension.

9. Jul 12, 2008 #8

I'm sorry I miss read what you posted:redface: lol Maybe I need that second cup of coffee after all.

10. Jul 12, 2008 #9

Wow, I didn't know about any of this. I carry on as usual and hope to Science my power doesn't go out because then I'll be bored. :(

11. Jul 12, 2008 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

When I was a kid, lightning struck a tree next to our house. My mother was standing at the sink and was hit by ~ 2 foot long electric streamers coming from the faucet. Luckily she wasn't hurt, but I have never seen her jump so high since. :biggrin:

12. Jul 13, 2008 #11

We get thunder and lightening around here but for some reason it is rarely anywhere near us. Maybe it stays mostlhy out to ocean or in fields.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?