I'm having trouble seeing the big picture of this proof.

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Terrell
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Picture Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
Terrell
Messages
316
Reaction score
26
I don't see how it proves that (n-r+1, r) is the number of r-combinations of X which contain no consecutive integers.
 
Attachments
  • bijective proof.png
    bijective proof.png
    20.6 KB · Views: 514
Physics news on Phys.org
Terrell said:
I don't see how it proves that (n-r+1, r) is the number of r-combinations of X which contain no consecutive integers.
Is it that you do not see that it is a bijection, or that establishment of the bijection proves the result?
 
haruspex said:
Is it that you do not see that it is a bijection, or that establishment of the bijection proves the result?
i can't see that the establishment of the bijection proves the result. please do help me
 
haruspex said:
Is it that you do not see that it is a bijection, or that establishment of the bijection proves the result?
after giving it some thought, i think I've got it. after applying the bijective function to set S, we can observe that the number of elements of the original set is equal to the number of elements in the set produced by the bijective funtion. however, the only difference is that the original set consists of non-consecutive integers and the "new" set consists of consecutive integers. since both of the sets contains n-r+1 elements, the number of ways to choose r-elements from the "new" set is (n-r+1, r) which should also equal for the original set. did i got that one right?
 
Terrell said:
after giving it some thought, i think I've got it. after applying the bijective function to set S, we can observe that the number of elements of the original set is equal to the number of elements in the set produced by the bijective funtion. however, the only difference is that the original set consists of non-consecutive integers and the "new" set consists of consecutive integers. since both of the sets contains n-r+1 elements, the number of ways to choose r-elements from the "new" set is (n-r+1, r) which should also equal for the original set. did i got that one right?
Yes.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Terrell
haruspex said:
Yes.
I think you were being too generous. When Terrell said, "original set consists of non-consecutive integers and the "new" set consists of consecutive integers.", he was referring to S and f(S) and that is in fact not necessarily true.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Terrell
Zafa Pi said:
I think you were being too generous. When Terrell said, "original set consists of non-consecutive integers and the "new" set consists of consecutive integers.", he was referring to S and f(S) and that is in fact not necessarily true.
You are right, I missed that it said "consists of" instead of "may contain", but that is probably just a minor slip in expressing it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Terrell
haruspex said:
You are right, I missed that it said "consists of" instead of "may contain", but that is probably just a minor slip in expressing it.
Agreed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Terrell