1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm intimidated by my professorss

1. Dec 6, 2015 #1
    I want to get into graduate school and it has been eighteen months since i graduated college. I feel i timidated asking my professors for advice. Can anyone give me advice please?

Basically I guess I'm just asking how can I go about getting into graduate school after not doing school for eighteen months and not doing any science since then?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2015 #2

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The first step would be to apply. You'll need to take the qualifying exams if you haven't already. If you have already they're good for five years, although redoing them might be a good idea to either improve a score, or show you've still retained the information from your bachelors. You should contact previous professors for letters of recommendation if they still remember you, and can provide them. Basically, just go about it as though you didn't take a break. You can always explain the break in school in your SoP, or mention it in the application.

4. Dec 7, 2015 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You're going to to have to talk to your professors to get letters of recommendations, so you might as well ask them for advice at the same time.

5. Dec 8, 2015 #4
    Thanks for your reply sorry it took me so long to reply back to you. I took the GRE in 2013 and I'm very satisfied with my score but I'm not very happy with my grades and I don't think I have good letters of recommendation. I had an REU in summer 2013 but the professor I worked with works at a big university and almost never returns any of my e-mails or calls for a letter of recommendation. It is very annoying to work with but I understand professors are busy people and sometimes they don't like working with students. That's why I'm sometimes intimidated to ask my professors for a letter of recommendation or for some advice because I feel like I'm wasting their time.

6. Dec 8, 2015 #5
    Just try to be as tactful as possible in communicating with them, any response is better then none.
    "Dear <x professor>, It would be very helpful if you could advise me concerning my interest in <careerer y>, do you think such a path would be suitable for me" ... & blah.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook