I'm new to my research team and

• Thread starter saravati20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Research
In summary, the speaker was offered a position to analyze exoplanet data and is new to physics and astronomy. They are concerned about their qualifications and are looking for suggestions on what areas of math to brush up on. They were also provided with a link to a website with relevant information.
saravati20
Today I was offered a position to analyze data concerning exoplanets. Apparently this isn't very hard, but I am new to physics and astronomy. I don't have many resources available, and concerned that if I express this to my advisor I'll look a little under qualified, I'm a quick study and was wondering what things I should look into before I start (especially which areas of math I should brush up on).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi,

not sure what kind of data and for what purpose, but here is a url to some people that spoke about exoplanets back in oct. 07

http://iaus249.nju.edu.cn/speakers.htm

might want to look for articles they wrote

Last edited by a moderator:
for your question! First of all, congratulations on joining a research team and being offered the opportunity to analyze data on exoplanets. It's normal to feel a little overwhelmed when starting a new project, especially in a field that may be new to you. Rest assured, your advisor and team members are there to support you and help you learn.

In terms of resources, have you checked with your advisor or colleagues for any recommended readings or online tutorials? They may have some helpful suggestions for you. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available for learning about physics and astronomy. You can also reach out to other researchers in the field for advice and guidance.

In terms of math, it would be beneficial to brush up on basic calculus and statistics. These are fundamental tools for analyzing data in any scientific field. Additionally, depending on the specific type of data you will be analyzing, you may also want to review linear algebra and differential equations.

Remember, it's okay to ask questions and admit that you are new to a field. Your team will appreciate your honesty and enthusiasm to learn. Good luck with your research and don't hesitate to reach out for help or guidance along the way.

Related to I'm new to my research team and

1. What is your research team focusing on?

Our research team is currently working on understanding the role of genetics in the development of certain diseases.

2. How can I contribute as a new member of the research team?

As a new member, you can contribute by bringing fresh perspectives and ideas to our discussions and experiments. You can also assist in data collection and analysis.

3. Who will be my mentor or supervisor in the research team?

Your mentor or supervisor will be the principal investigator or one of the senior researchers in our team. They will guide you and provide support throughout your research journey.

4. Are there any ongoing projects that I can join?

Yes, there are several ongoing projects in our research team. We can discuss your interests and skills to find the best fit for you.

5. Can I publish my findings from this research with the team?

Yes, you can publish your findings with the team. We encourage collaboration and sharing of knowledge among our team members.