Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm not impressed with this article should I be? One participant?

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1

Pythagorean

Gold Member

I'm not impressed with this article... should I be? One participant? Really?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/10/111025091559.htm

(Note, the peer-reviewed article was published in PLoS ONE:)

Sakari Kallio, Jukka Hyönä, Antti Revonsuo, Pilleriin Sikka, Lauri Nummenmaa. The Existence of a Hypnotic State Revealed by Eye Movements. PLoS ONE, 2011; 6 (10): e26374 DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0026374

I'm still a skeptic when it comes to "one word cue" hypnosis.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2011 #2

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Hypnosis

I've seen two demonstrations of hypnosis in my life. In one, I would say the a-priori likelihood of fakery was low (but not extremely low), in the other case unknown. Both were well within what I could see how they could be faked.

Despite my uncertainty about exactly what the state is, if it exists, I see a very promising application. The placebo effect is well known and can be powerful, but it relies on belief. It would seem that for suggestible individuals, you could have controlled, maximized placebo effect. Talk about cheap, no side effects medicine!

4. Oct 26, 2011 #3

You understand the initial hypnosis took some time, and the cue word that would send him back into the hypnotic state was installed during the longer, primary session, right?

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4

Pythagorean

Gold Member

still skeptical

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook