1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I'm trying to prove that a linear map is injective

1. Dec 18, 2007 #1
    hello, i've been reading some proofs and in keep finding this same argument tyo prove that a linear map is injective viz, we suppose that t(a,c) = 0 and then we deduce that a,c = 0,0. is it the case that the only way a linear map could be non injective is if it took two elements to zero? i.e. t injective iff ker(t) not zero?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

First, it's easy to prove that any linear map takes the 0 vector to 0. If a linear maps takes some non-zero vector to 0 also, then it clearly is not injective.

On the other hand, suppose the linear map T takes two vectors, u, v, with [itex]u\ne v[/itex], into the same thing. Then T(u- v)= T(u)- T(v)= 0 so T takes the non-zero vector u-v into 0.

However, your final statement is exactly reversed: t is injective if and only if ker(t) is {0}.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?