Impedance change in matter from ionizing radiation?

Summary:
bio-impedance technique for measurements of impedance changes induced by ionizing radiation. Is it possible?
Bio-impedance technique is used to monitor various organ related qualities. Shift in metabolism will also show up as a shift in impedance. My question is if by exposing a target volume with ionizing radiation and thereby release electrons and at the same time measure the impedance (which will "collect" the released electrons by introducing alternating voltage field lines?), would that impedance measurement show a change in impedance? Why / Why not?

Answers and Replies

:welcome:

... measurements of impedance changes induced by ionizing radiation. Is it possible?
I think within any practical range of radiation it's not possible. Usually, living organs has plenty of 'free' electrons ions around, since they are practically salted water with some 'dirt' in it. The usual contribution of radiation is not much.

The natural ion content in (clean) water is in the 10^18 range (in a kg of water), if I recall correctly.
For potassium in meat it's around 100 decays every second in every kg. In this environment as additional charge, it's just negligible.

In an environment where there are no free ions around, it definitely can be measured (many instruments depends on this).

I was referring to the potential impedance change due to impinging ionising radiation i.e x rays. By applying a potential over the volume of interest the free electrons or ions should move according to the field lines in much the same manner as in an ion chamber?

berkeman
Mentor
My question is if by exposing a target volume with ionizing radiation and thereby release electrons and at the same time measure the impedance
It seems like exposing a living subject to this level of ionizing radiation would be a very bad thing. What is your endgame? Do you have links to papers about this experiment?