Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Imperial Valley electrical power out.

1. Sep 8, 2011 #1

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

My sister lives in San Diego and posted on FB that much of the SW US is out of power.

Have been snooping around for news for the last 10 minutes and ran across the following:

During a level 9 earthquake, it kind of makes sense to shut down the reactors, but during a power outage?

But then again, maybe they just disconnected from the grid, and "shutdown" is just news babble. (crossing fingers)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2011 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

4. Sep 8, 2011 #3

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

5. Sep 8, 2011 #4

Evo

AHA!!!! So you were the one that blew the fuse!!

Oh those poor people in that heatwave.

6. Sep 8, 2011 #5
    Such reckless abandon.

7. Sep 8, 2011 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow, it's really widespread. Poor MiH! (And all other PFers affected!)

8. Sep 8, 2011 #7

Evo

I was wondering why people hadn't posted about it, laptops have batteries, during one outage my laptop kept me sane until the battery ran out, and now people can connect via cell phone and car chargers will keep your cell phone charged. Surely we must have at least one member in the affected area with the ability to connect?

9. Sep 8, 2011 #8
    This should have been confined to the Yuma area according to this link. Most of AZ has power.

http://www.chron.com/news/article/Power-out-for-sweltering-Calif-Ariz-Mexico-2161966.php [Broken]

The old power grid has a mind of its own. The last time we had a prolonged outage in AZ it started when a tree touched a power line in Idaho.

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  10. Sep 8, 2011 #9

Evo

I sure would hate to be THAT employee.
    I can see it now, Hank goes home for dinner with his wife, 2.1 children and 1.5 pets, sits in the barca lounger, kids come rushing in, daddy, daddy, what did you do at work today?

Daddy - well kids, I killed power to the entire southwestern portion of the United States! Wow, daddy!! They must be so proud of you!

Daddy - Yes, they were so impressed they told me that I don't have to come back anymore. They don't think any other person can top what I've done.

Oh daddy, can we tell about it at school tomorrow?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  11. Sep 8, 2011 #10

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Never mind. Sissy says San Diego has power back as of seven minutes ago.

But I did tell her that I'd be down soon with solar panels and other nonsensical things for the next time this happens.

Her beer was about to get warm!

o:)

12. Sep 8, 2011 #11

OmCheeto

Gold Member
    2016 Award

:rofl:
    I love short stories.

Especially at bed time. Thank you Evo.

Night all!

10pm?
    :grumpy:
    :cry:
    :zzz:

13. Sep 9, 2011 #12
    The lights are coming back on, now, but it was the freakin' Day the Earth Stood Still here. Traffic was mega congested during rush hour because all the traffic lights went out. The city trolley system which is electric, came to a halt with thousands stranded where they were. Then all the stores started closing because they had no juice to operate cash registers. No stopping at the corner market for a bottle of coke. Bars and coffee shops: closed. Cars were pulling into gas stations that had no power to pump gas. Some just sat there, knowing they didn't have enough gas to get home and hoping the juice would come back soon.

When the sun went down it was like a post-apocalyptic cityscape: no light anywhere, but the occasional flashlight of the odd pedestrian. At home: no lights, no TV, no internet. Even if you had a fully charged battery in your laptop, the cable companies had no power to operate their system. (It might have been possible to get online through a landline with dial up, but I don't have that anymore.)

My neighborhood came back on the grid at 10:00PM, but there was still no TV or internet for a couple hours. It's looking like downtown is all lit back up. I went out exploring and it seems the 7/11's jumped right back open as soon as they could, but they had no coffee or ice for the soda.

No one could get access to the news and we had no idea what caused it or how widespread it was. One guy told me it extended into Arizona and Texas. Another guy told me a huge, strategic transformer in Az had blown up. Now I read it was caused by some technician changing out a part in Yuma.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook