Implications of a "theory of everything"

Physics Slayer
I think normal people and physicists have different definitions of a "theory of everything", normal people (I am not calling Physicists abnormal although some of dem are a bit wonky) usually mean something along the lines of meaning of life/why we exist/ purpose in life etc.
Physicists on the other hand refer to a theoretical framework that unites all four fundamental forces of nature, at it's face value this doesn't sound very grandiose(to a normal person atleast) and definitely doesn't sound like something worthy of the title of "theory of everything". Do physicists glorify these theories (eg:super string theory) only because of their mathematical elegance(or because they want funding👀) or are there other deeper consequences of having a GUT?(like answering some other fundamental questions of the universe, something like the information paradox or Baryon asymmetry etc.)

I haven't studied string theory or any other GUT, heck I'm till solving block on incline problems but I'm curious about the latest developments in physics.

Answers and Replies

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I think normal people and physicists have different definitions of a "theory of everything", normal people (I am not calling Physicists abnormal although some of dem are a bit wonky) usually mean something along the lines of meaning of life/why we exist/ purpose in life etc.
That would be an error of the word 'theory' made by these 'normal people'.

A theory has a specific meaning - and its not about answering 'why' questions or attributing 'meaning'.

Likes russ_watters
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I think normal people and physicists
Excuse me?
Are you trying to be insulting?

• Skeptical
Likes Physics Slayer
Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I am not calling Physicists abnormal although some of dem are a bit wonky
That's exactly what you are doing!

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
The PC expression for physicists is differently normal, although most will accept being called 'special'.

• Haha
Likes russ_watters
berkeman
Mentor
Thread is locked for Moderation..

Likes dlgoff
berkeman
Mentor
Thread will remain locked for numerous PF rules violations by the OP.

or are there other deeper consequences of having a GUT?(like answering some other fundamental questions of the universe, something like the information paradox or Baryon asymmetry etc.)

If you really want to learn more about the various TOE models and current status, do some reading at reliable websites. Then, if you have questions about that reading, start a new thread in the appropriate technical forum (using the B=Basic thread prefix), post links to your reading, and ask *specific* questions about that reading. Have a nice day.

Likes Vanadium 50

Suggested for: Implications of a "theory of everything"

• Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views