Implications of Quantum physics

In summary: Read MoreIn summary, the conversation delves into the implications of quantum physics experiments and theories such as the double slit experiment and Schroedinger's cat. It is noted that observation affects results, making it impossible for an observer to extract themselves from the system. The discussion also touches on the role of the observer in science and the concept of objectivity. It is mentioned that classical physics is objective, while quantum mechanics is a statistical theory that does not describe physical processes. The conversation also explores the idea of microscopic events affecting macroscopic properties.
Supaiku
I just want to make sure I understand some of the greater implications of discoveries made by quantum physics experiments and theories like the double slit experiment and Schroedinger's cat.

Because observation effects results, it becomes clear that an observer cannot extract themselves from the system, and are indeed a part of it.
True, yes?

And I'm curious what people think about the implications of this for science in general. I mean sure, these things more or less disappear when you reach macroscopic levels, right? But then, what about more complex systems?
Is it possible to observe biological systems without effecting it? Do effects actually matter?

Really I'm interested in this because a recent criticism I've heard of science is that it has objectivity, which really doesn't exist, built in as an assumption. Do you think that's true, and does it matter? If not why not? Is thinking that we can be separate from things an unhealthy habit to get into?
I'm certainly of the opinion that even tiny bits do add up and make a difference, and that even subtle differences are compounded over time/space to eventually have large effects.

Physics news on Phys.org
Supaiku said:
And I'm curious what people think about the implications of this for science in general. I mean sure, these things more or less disappear when you reach macroscopic levels, right? But then, what about more complex systems?
Is it possible to observe biological systems without effecting it? Do effects actually matter?

Really I'm interested in this because a recent criticism I've heard of science is that it has objectivity, which really doesn't exist, built in as an assumption. Do you think that's true, and does it matter? If not why not? Is thinking that we can be separate from things an unhealthy habit to get into?
I would like to note first that similar thing you have with relativity and so you can not strictly say that observation problem disappears at macroscopic level.
But I don't think there are much of implications for science in general because if you step outside physics this is not something really new.
However even if objectivity is always conditional it does not mean that we can not acquire useful knowledge.

Supaiku said:

Sometimes the "objectivity" component is not that critical to the outcome, and other times it might be. In those cases, it may indeed be necessary to consider the observer as part of the system and make allowances for that. I know that many medical experiments must consider the role of the observer carefully, for example, and that is why there are double blind studies. I certainly don't think that invalidates all science, so it depends on the context.

DrChinese said:
Sometimes the "objectivity" component is not that critical to the outcome, and other times it might be. In those cases, it may indeed be necessary to consider the observer as part of the system and make allowances for that. I know that many medical experiments must consider the role of the observer carefully, for example, and that is why there are double blind studies. I certainly don't think that invalidates all science, so it depends on the context.

The OP gets into EPR concepts, does he not?
Also, wasn't it Dirac (or Heisenberg) who called the arbitrary limit between the quantum and the classical, the "blade", or something like that? In any case, I forget the exact term he used...

Supaiku said:
I just want to make sure I understand some of the greater implications of discoveries made by quantum physics experiments and theories like the double slit experiment and Schroedinger's cat.

Because observation effects results, it becomes clear that an observer cannot extract themselves from the system, and are indeed a part of it.
True, yes?

"Observer" implies that we need a human observer. This is not true! But a quantum experiment does require a measuring device, as well as a measured result. In fact, all parts of the experiment are non-separable and must be considered as a single entity.

Supaiku said:

In classical physics, which, in general, describes the behavior of macroscopic systems, the value of the measured quantity is not affected by the measurement process. Here, the different parts are separable and can be discussed independently.

Supaiku said:

Classical physics is objective! We believe there is a real universe outside of our measuring devices. This mechanical universe is well described by the laws of Newton, Maxwell, and Einstein, among others.

Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, is a purely statistical theory. It does not describe physical processes. Rather, it only gives the possible results of a measurement and the probability distribution of those results.

Supaiku said:
I'm certainly of the opinion that even tiny bits do add up and make a difference, and that even subtle differences are compounded over time/space to eventually have large effects.

This is a classical concept - that the macroscopic properties are determined by microscopic events. Not so in quantum mechanics! As far as we know, there is no underlying system that gives rise to the statistical nature of quantum phenomena.

eaglelake said:
"Observer" implies that we need a human observer. This is not true! But a quantum experiment does require a measuring device, as well as a measured result. In fact, all parts of the experiment are non-separable and must be considered as a single entity.
I meant both really.

eaglelake said:
In classical physics, which, in general, describes the behavior of macroscopic systems, the value of the measured quantity is not affected by the measurement process. Here, the different parts are separable and can be discussed independently.

Classical physics is objective! We believe there is a real universe outside of our measuring devices. This mechanical universe is well described by the laws of Newton, Maxwell, and Einstein, among others.

Quantum mechanics, on the other hand, is a purely statistical theory. It does not describe physical processes. Rather, it only gives the possible results of a measurement and the probability distribution of those results.

This is a classical concept - that the macroscopic properties are determined by microscopic events. Not so in quantum mechanics! As far as we know, there is no underlying system that gives rise to the statistical nature of quantum phenomena.
So in Classical physics, your measuring deviced doesn't exist. And Quantum mechanics the whole thing is not even connected to reality at all? I don't get what your saying, can you be a little more clear?

I mean... isn't there some thing, like what Anderson was talking about, where you kinda have to switch rules... like it's not unified, so neither is true because people can't figure out how to make what quantum physics says apply to bigger stuff (and the bigger stuff is 'close enough')?
Anderson, I don't know what those crazy acronyms you're talking about are.

Dr.Chinese, you said you don't think it invalidates science: What is the goal you're talking about? Invalidates it for what?
I guess the sort of thinking I'm talking about is a bit unusual in it's goal. The goal perhaps being to experience reality to it's maximum and come to a true understanding, perhaps visceral (not simply conceptual, but complete) understanding, and act on that understanding.

I hear you guys saying sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't... is that to say that the world isn't really connected? They are kinda like... two worlds - one where the observer matters, and one where it doesn't? I tend to see the world as connected...
Am I misunderstanding something?

Is it inaccurate to say that all other sciences essentially rest on the bedrock that physics provides? Sure, they might not thing about it but their paradigms assume all the things that physics tells them about the universe?

Last edited:
Supaiku said:
Dr.Chinese, you said you don't think it invalidates science: What is the goal you're talking about? Invalidates it for what?
I guess the sort of thinking I'm talking about is a bit unusual in it's goal. The goal perhaps being to experience reality to it's maximum and come to a true understanding, perhaps visceral (not simply conceptual, but complete) understanding, and act on that understanding.

Here is the problem. Some folks want to know WHY the universe is the way it is. That may not be a truly scientific question in the sense that any answer is necessarily speculative. On the other hand, a theory can be a great theory without answering the WHY questions. Instead, it is judged based on its utility.

In quantum mechanics, the observer apparently has a role in determining reality. This is the essense of the EPR paradox, which has been decided in favor of QM. And the observer is considered as a fundamental to the outcome.

QM is a useful theory, perhaps the greatest of all time in that respect (utility). So if you seek a scientific answer that meets criteria that the theory does even attempt to cover (answers to the WHY questions, or answers that are observer-independent), you may go away unsatisfied at this time. Science is measured by relative progress rather than in absolute terms. Do we know more today than yesterday? The answer is YES, and that is why the science remains valid. Ultimately, the critique is not valid unless someone can show a better way - in which case even more progress is made!

eaglelake said:

Classical physics is limited in scope to those areas in which quantum-level results can be ignored. Obviously, the universe is in fact dependent on the observer at the quantum level, so the classical view of an objective universe is problematic in this regard. See the EPR paradox.

QM does not postulate a physical model to accompany its mathematical formalism. You could say the same about General Relativity and it would be equally meaningful (although I guess you could say there is "something" of a physical model for both QM and GR). But so what? Are you implying that classical theory is somehow superior to QM? I hope not.

The 'why' / 'what makes this do this or that' are the things that I have the most interest. To me, without understanding those things, the rest of it is just getting things to be utilized and used, to some extent.

Teachers have to teach what works and those things that work best.

I think that some theories have more problems than others; and, some have several 'accepted' things that may not be right, but are 'accepted' to the point that those things are taken with more truth than maybe they should be and the rest of that theory is then skewed to some extent.

Supaiku said:
So in Classical physics, your measuring deviced doesn't exist. And Quantum mechanics the whole thing is not even connected to reality at all? I don't get what your saying, can you be a little more clear?

I hear you guys saying sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't... is that to say that the world isn't really connected? They are kinda like... two worlds - one where the observer matters, and one where it doesn't? I tend to see the world as connected...
Am I misunderstanding something?

Measuring devices are necessary components in both classical and quantum experiments. But quantum events are fundamentally different from classical ones. We observe both kinds of events and it is important that we understand the difference between them. We must especially accept the fact that quantum objects do not move through space-time according to the laws of Newton and Einstein.

In classical physics the measuring device is separate from the classical object. Assume we intend to measure a particle’s momentum. The momentum has a value whether or not we measure it; It doesn’t matter whether the measuring device is on or off. The object has a value for momentum even if we don’t measure it.

In quantum physics, on the other hand, the measuring device and quantum object are not separate entities! The momentum has no value until it is measured. In the original EPR paper, it was assumed that a particle behaves classically, i.e. it had momentum prior to being measured - and the results were erroneous. This seems strange to most of us, but all it really means is that quantum particles do not behave in classical ways.

The reality of the quantum world is not the reality of the mechanical (classical) universe. You are correct that quantum mechanics makes no connection with (classical) reality. For example, a quantum experiment does not tell us how a quantum particle gets from its source to the detector. But, by repeating the experiment many times we get all possible results for that experimental configuration and we get the statistical distribution of those results. That’s it! That’s all there is! And that is exactly what quantum mechanics gives us; for a given experiment we can predict the possible results and the statistical distribution of those results.

DrChinese said:
Here is the problem. Some folks want to know WHY the universe is the way it is. That may not be a truly scientific question in the sense that any answer is necessarily speculative. On the other hand, a theory can be a great theory without answering the WHY questions. Instead, it is judged based on its utility.
How does utility come in without a why? Doesn't utility preclude the why? So, what kinda utilities are you talking about here?

Dr.Chinese said:
QM is a useful theory, perhaps the greatest of all time in that respect (utility). So if you seek a scientific answer that meets criteria that the theory does even attempt to cover (answers to the WHY questions, or answers that are observer-independent), you may go away unsatisfied at this time. Science is measured by relative progress rather than in absolute terms. Do we know more today than yesterday? The answer is YES, and that is why the science remains valid. Ultimately, the critique is not valid unless someone can show a better way - in which case even more progress is made!
Progress towards what?
I guess the goal is not defined,but remains to be set by the user?

Eaglelake/Dr.Chinese... I'm a bit lost as to the usefullness of such quantum physics. I guess quantum computers and the eventual bridging of that gap is it's utility, yea?

Supaiku said:
How does utility come in without a why? Doesn't utility preclude the why? So, what kinda utilities are you talking about here?

Progress towards what?
I guess the goal is not defined,but remains to be set by the user?

Eaglelake/Dr.Chinese... I'm a bit lost as to the usefullness of such quantum physics. I guess quantum computers and the eventual bridging of that gap is it's utility, yea?

Just because quantum mechanics is purely statistical, and does not describe "physical reality" as classical mechanics does, does not mean it is not useful. Although we can only predict probabilities, much of our modern technology is based on quantum mechanics. For example, you can argue, and I would agree, that we have no idea of what is going on inside a nucleus. But quantum mechanics provides a statistical model that "tells" us how to build nuclear reactors as well as bombs, among other things. Powerful stuff, indeed!

1. What is quantum physics and how does it differ from classical physics?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It differs from classical physics in that it describes the behavior of these particles using principles of probability and uncertainty, rather than deterministic laws.

2. How does quantum physics explain phenomena like entanglement and superposition?

Quantum physics explains these phenomena by stating that particles can exist in multiple states or locations simultaneously, known as superposition, and that particles can become entangled, meaning their states are linked and can affect each other even when separated by large distances.

3. What are the implications of quantum physics for our understanding of reality?

The implications of quantum physics for our understanding of reality are still being debated and studied. Some theories propose that our perception of reality is shaped by our observations and that the act of observing can affect the behavior of particles. Others suggest that there may be multiple parallel universes or dimensions that exist simultaneously.

4. Can quantum physics be applied in practical ways?

Yes, quantum physics has already been applied in various practical ways, such as in the development of quantum computers, which use the principles of superposition and entanglement to perform complex calculations much faster than classical computers.

5. Are there any potential dangers or ethical concerns related to the study and application of quantum physics?

As with any scientific advancement, there are potential dangers and ethical concerns related to the study and application of quantum physics. Some concerns include the potential for quantum computers to break current forms of encryption and the ethical implications of manipulating particles at a fundamental level. However, these concerns are still being studied and addressed by scientists and policymakers.