Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Implicit function theorem for several complex variables

1. Sep 8, 2013 #1
    This is the statement, in case you're not familiar with it.
    Let ## f_j(w,x), \; j=1, \ldots, m ## be analytic functions of ## (w,z) = (w_1, \ldots, w_m,z_1,\ldots,z_n) ## in a neighborhood of ##w^0,z^0## in ##\mathbb{C}^m \times \mathbb{C}^n ## and assume that ##f_j(w^0,z^0)=0, \, j=1,\ldots,m ## and that [tex] \det \{\frac{\partial f_j}{\partial w_k}\}^m_{j,k=1} \neq 0
    [/tex]
    at ##(w^0,z^0)##.
    Then the equations ##f_j(w,z)=0 \; j=1,\ldots,m ##, have a uniquely determined analytic solution ## w(z) ## in a neighborhood of ##z_0 ##, such that ##w(z_0) = w_0##.
    In the proof of this statement I find in Hormander's book he claims that in order to apply the usual implicit function theorem one must first prove that the equations ##df_j = 0## and ##dz_k=0## for ##j =1, \ldots, m ## and ##k = 1, \ldots, n## imply ##dw_j = 0## for ## j = 1, \ldots, m##. I don't understand what this condition means and why it is needed.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2013 #2
    I can't edit anymore, but of course the x in in ## f_j(w,x) ## is a typo. It should read ## f_j(w,z). ##

4. Oct 22, 2013 #3
    you have an Mx(M+N) system. if the last N columns are all zero, then the first M columns are linearly independent if the first M rows are. you need an invertible MxM submatrix to solve for an M-vector of coefficients from this system. this an intermediate step and not necessary if one already knows that a nonzero jacobian determinant implies invertibility. the jacobian submatrix is not invertible if its columns are not linearly independent. hopefully this isn't too abstract.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook