Impressive piano compositions to learn beyond Für Elise

  • Thread starter Thread starter Monique
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Piano
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
40 replies · 9K views
jimmy p said:
I'm not sure, I got the sheet music.


That's what I meant. Sheet music.

I hate it when I forget words. :redface:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, I only know difficult pieces :blush: Or really calm ones.
You could try Beethovens Patetique 2nd movement. 3rd movement is difficult, but not pace-insane :p
 
Monique said:
6 (!) months? :bugeye: *gulp*

I never got past reading notes and playing some simple tunes with static hands, the first two parts of Für Elise were really easy, the rest quite a bit more challenging :wink: I'll try to get my hands on Chopin..

Hmm.. monique if you haven't mastered the quick (staccato?) piece in Fur elise I would suggest you stick with this song until you can play it all the way though at least once, if only badly, before you move on to some of the more complexed pieces being suggested.

I never had formal lessons but I taught myself the intro to fur elise- it's the only piece of classical music I can play. Very graceful and flowing.
 
Anyone here a jazz pianist? My best friend plays the piano in the school's jazz band and is fairly good at it. Right now I am trying to (slowly) memorize the piano version of Winter Wonderland (Nowak). It sounds pretty neat and if the chords are broken apart and arpeggiated, it makes it seem like your at a fancy dinner party.
 
Yep ! I love Thelonious Sphere Monk, and I think there are very few technical difficulties to play Monk's compostition, with regards to the few notes he uses (almost never any 4 or 5 fingers chords). The difficulty lies in his ... very personal conception of rythm.

If you want to learn jazz though, you need to listen a lot of jazz, and many different artists, before you can develop your own feeling. It is yet another never-ending story.
 
Zantra said:
Hmm.. monique if you haven't mastered the quick (staccato?) piece in Fur elise I would suggest you stick with this song until you can play it all the way though at least once, if only badly, before you move on to some of the more complexed pieces being suggested.
Yeah, I started on that :smile: but I still needed a belated birthday present for on my wishlist :redface: :wink:
 
Monique said:
Interesting, Beethoven's name is actually dutch: Ludwig 'van Beethoven', that means everyone is writing his name wrong.

Are you serious?
 
"van Beethoven" should thus be the right name ? Yet in France, we have that kind of name too : Charles de Gaulle. This is a bad example, but one should call him "Gaulle" or "Charles de Gaulle", not "de Gaulle". (with a few exceptions). The origine of this kind of name is historical : "John from South" you could say. You would either call him "South" or "John from South" but just "from South" would be incorrect.

Monique : do you know if the rule in dutch is to always keep the "van" particle ?
 
Monique said:
Interesting, Beethoven's name is actually dutch: Ludwig 'van Beethoven', that means everyone is writing his name wrong

We usually just say Beethoven. I've got a family dedicated to music. My grand-aunt has won the highest norwegian prizes a musician can get, and my dad is musical teacher(amanuensis) at our Music university and is responisble for all the music in the norwegian freemasonary. So I should know ;)


Descartes said:
Finally, I think a lot of Bach's Fugues are fun to play on the piano.

His Invention 8 is great, short, educative, and easy to learn.
 
Last edited:
humanino said:
Monique : do you know if the rule in dutch is to always keep the "van" particle ?
I don't know of any rules, but I've never heard the prefixes being dropped. But at least I'm glad the American style rules are not being followed, because then it would've been Vanbeethoven :rolleyes:
 
What's wrong with that, Ms. Vandervoet? :confused: