Improving Lines in High Res Multi-Lined Coloured Plot

In summary, the speaker is discussing a multi-lined coloured plot that they need to have some lines represented by dashed lines. They also mention needing a high resolution for publication purposes. However, when opening the tiff file with high resolution, the dashed lines appear pale instead of dashed. The speaker tried using different line styles but had no success. They suggest trying a specific tool from MathWorks to help with this issue.
jemma
I have a multi-lined coloured plot in which I need some lines represented by dashed lines ('linestyle', ':') and I also need my plot to be quite a high resolution (dpi) for publication reasons (print -r600 -dtiff myfile.tif). So this works fine but when I open the tiff file with high resolution the lines just appear pale instead of dashed when inserted into MS Word (unless you zoom right into the lines). I tried using 'linestyle', '--', too but this looks even more just like a faded but solid line.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have your plots, you may want to try: http://www.mathworks.com/help/techdoc/creating_plots/f3-84337.html#f3-99772

1. How can I make the lines in my multi-lined colored plot more visible?

To improve the visibility of lines in a multi-lined colored plot, you can try increasing the line thickness or changing the color of the lines to a darker or more contrasting color. You can also adjust the brightness or contrast settings of your display to make the lines stand out more.

2. What is the best way to label the different lines in a multi-lined colored plot?

The most effective way to label the lines in a multi-lined colored plot is to use a legend. This allows you to assign a label to each line and provide a key for the colors used in the plot. Alternatively, you can label the lines directly on the plot using text annotations.

3. How can I improve the overall aesthetic of my multi-lined colored plot?

To enhance the aesthetic of your multi-lined colored plot, you can experiment with different color palettes and line styles. You can also add gridlines or adjust the spacing between the lines to create a visually appealing layout. Additionally, consider adding a title and axis labels to provide context and make the plot more visually appealing.

4. Is there a way to customize the colors used in the multi-lined plot?

Yes, you can customize the colors used in the multi-lined plot by specifying the color palette or using a color map. Many plotting libraries also allow you to manually assign colors to each line, giving you more control over the color scheme of your plot.

5. Can I create a high resolution version of my multi-lined colored plot?

Yes, you can create a high resolution version of your multi-lined colored plot by adjusting the output resolution or by saving the plot in a vector format such as PDF or SVG. You can also try using anti-aliasing techniques to improve the quality of the lines in your plot.