Impulse and momentum question, relates to Biomechanics

In summary, the male exerts a vertical force of 500N on the female for 1.0s, with her mass being 40kg. To calculate her vertical velocity when she is released into the air, you need to incorporate the force of gravity (9.81 m/s^2) in addition to the force exerted by the man. Using the equation FΔt = mΔv, the correct answer is 2.69 m/s upwards.
urbano

Homework Statement

A male and female pair of dancers start dancing when the male lifts the female and throws her into the air. The female's mass is 40kg . The male exerts an average vertical force of 500n for 1.0s on the female.

What is her vertical velocity when she is released into the air ?

Homework Equations

I chose to go with Force x Change in time = Mass x Change in Velocity
FΔt = mΔv

The Attempt at a Solution

So I initially came up with

500N x 1.0s = 40kg x Change in velocity

(500N x 1.0s)/ 40kg = Change in Velocity

Change in velocity = 12.5

The correct answer (if 9.81 m/s is used for g) is 2.69 m/s upwards. I hadn't accounted for g in my answer and am not sure how to incorporate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
urbano said:
I hadn't accounted for g in my answer and am not sure how to incorporate it.
Is the force that the man exerts on her the only force acting on her?

to the best of my knowledge yes, I have literally written out the question as it was presented.

urbano said:
to the best of my knowledge yes, I have literally written out the question as it was presented.
Don't forget gravity. (That's where g comes in.)

yes this is where I'm confused...how do you incorporate g into it ?

urbano said:
yes this is where I'm confused...how do you incorporate g into it ?
There are two forces acting on the woman: The upward push from the man and the downward pull of gravity (her weight). You need to use the net force to calculate her change in velocity.

1. What is impulse?

Impulse is the product of force and time, and is represented by the equation impulse = force x time. It is a measure of the change in momentum of an object.

2. How does impulse relate to biomechanics?

In biomechanics, impulse is important because it helps us understand how forces affect the movement of the human body. By analyzing the impulse of forces acting on the body, we can determine the potential for injury and optimize performance.

3. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, and is represented by the equation momentum = mass x velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. How are impulse and momentum related?

Impulse and momentum are directly related, as impulse is the change in momentum of an object. This means that the greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum, and vice versa.

5. How can we calculate the impulse of a force?

To calculate the impulse of a force, we need to know the magnitude and duration of the force. The impulse is equal to the force multiplied by the time it acts on an object, or impulse = force x time.