1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Impulse Question (Really Difficult)

1. Nov 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bird is initially perched on a swing with a mass of 153 g. The bird has a mass of 52 g. The swing is 8 cm below the point of attachment to the top of the cage. The bird/swing are initially at rest. The bird takes off horizontally at 2 m/s. How high will the base of the swing rise above its original level? Disregard friction.

2. Relevant equations
    Where do i start?

3. The attempt at a solution
    ive used several formulas that dont work out i just need to know which formula to use im completely and utterly lost on this problem. Ive tried m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1f + m1v1f , didnt work. and mgh = 1/2mv^2. Any help ? :(
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 15, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the momentum of the bird when it leaves? The perch will have an equal and opposite momentum backwards. (This is treating the bird as more of a projectile than a flyer - but I think that's the intent of the problem).
  4. Nov 16, 2007 #3
    sweet thx dood! :) (I figured it out)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?