1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

In academic confusion: to study at home or not

1. Aug 10, 2008 #1
    Well studying at home seems harder to me, than studying in a university...
    Now I want some real advice... From someone who knows the Indian System of Study

I have done my Bachelors in Computers from Univ. Pune... in 2007
    I want to go into Theo. Physics... Masters then PhD... and not waste another 3 years in doing BSc. Physics...

A possible path that looks good to me is:

1. Go for IIT Jam 2009, get into MSc. Applied Mathematics in IIT Roorkee
    (I am eligible for that with my given background, had four semestors of Math)
    2. Next after my completion of MSc. I can sit for JEST and head on to a PhD
    (for which an Applied Math. Course is elligible)

Are there any other routes by which I can go into theo. physics. In the above way, i have to go through two very hard tests ie., JAM and JEST...

Can I go for theo. physics degree in a foreign university after doing Applied Math course???
    Or will I require a mandatory physics degree???
    Or should I concentrate on studying at home, and then start writing my own papers???

Sorry for my ramblings... But I really do not see a path leading to a productive theo. physics career...
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2008 #2
    No one from India???
  4. Aug 10, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your question is quite specific: you shouldn't be surprised if it takes a few days for someone who has some useful advice to come along. Please be patient.
  5. Aug 11, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

It also might help if you had a more descriptive title.
  6. Aug 11, 2008 #5
    How do I change the title ...???
  7. Aug 11, 2008 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You can't edit a thread yourself, but if you wish to change the title then you can report your thread and have a mentor do it for you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?