In the beginning there was one force

In summary, The conversation discussed the beginning of the universe and the first three epochs, focusing on the unification of fundamental forces. The idea was that there was likely one more general, fundamental force that manifested in different ways as what we see today as different forces. It was mentioned that the gauge bosons were different and the question was posed about the role of gravity in this unification. It was suggested that there may have been more than one boson involved in the forces.
CaptainHammer
Hi everyone, new guy here.

I am currently writing a short essay on the beginning of the universe. I chose not to put this in the Homework section mainly because it does not fit the template, and I think that it's an interesting discussion. More interesting than a simple homework.
My essay will have a strong emphasis on inflation and nucleosynthesis.

But that is not the topic.

I am more interested in the first three epochs. Planck, GUT and electroweak. The question that I bring to you all is, what does it mean that the fundamental forces were unified?

Were the gauge bosons equivalent to one another? If so, what about gravity?
Were the forces mediated by a single kind of boson that "degenerated" as forces separated?

Space news on Phys.org
CaptainHammer said:
I am more interested in the first three epochs. Planck, GUT and electroweak. The question that I bring to you all is, what does it mean that the fundamental forces were unified?
There was (probably) one more general, more fundamental force. What we see today are (probably) different aspects of the same force, like electric and magnetic field are different aspects of the more general electromagnetism (imagine we wouldn't see the influences of those fields on each other, then we would treat it as two different forces).

Were the gauge bosons equivalent to one another?
They were different.

If so, what about gravity?
Find the answer and you'll get a Nobel Prize.
Were the forces mediated by a single kind of boson that "degenerated" as forces separated?
Probably more than one boson.

1. What is the "one force" referred to in the phrase "In the beginning there was one force"?

The "one force" refers to the fundamental force that existed at the very beginning of the universe, also known as the grand unified force. This force is believed to have encompassed all four fundamental forces of nature: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force.

2. How did the "one force" lead to the creation of the universe?

The "one force" is thought to have been responsible for the rapid expansion of the universe during the Big Bang. As the universe cooled and expanded, the "one force" broke apart into the four fundamental forces we know today, allowing for the formation of matter and the universe as we know it.

3. Is there any evidence for the existence of the "one force"?

While there is no direct evidence for the "one force" itself, scientists have observed the unification of the four fundamental forces at extremely high energies, such as in particle accelerators. This provides support for the idea that all four forces were once combined into one unified force.

4. How does the "one force" relate to the theory of everything?

The theory of everything is a theoretical framework that seeks to unify all of physics into one overarching theory. The "one force" is a key concept in this theory, as it represents the ultimate unification of all four fundamental forces.

5. Is the "one force" still present in the universe today?

No, the "one force" is no longer present in the universe as we know it today. As the universe cooled and expanded, the "one force" broke apart into the four fundamental forces, which are still at work in various interactions and phenomena in the universe.