Include In Progress Paper/Thesis on CV?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not to include planned publications, such as a paper and an honors thesis, on a CV. The general consensus is to only include the honors thesis as it is part of the academic program. However, it should be noted as "planned" or "pending". It is also suggested to mention the details of the planned publication in a cover letter instead of including it in the CV. Overall, it is advised to only include completed publications on a CV.
Mike K
I am currently writing emails to potential grad school advisers. I have no past publications, however I am about to write a paper (1st or 2nd author) as well as an honors thesis. Should I list these on my CV?

Physics news on Phys.org
The honors thesis, yes, because it's part of your academic program. I would not list a paper you plan to write; I'd wait until it happens.

I personally wouldn't include either the planned thesis or the planned paper under an explicit Publications section. If you do choose to include the thesis, however, be sure to qualify it as "planned" or "pending". Alternatively, you could note elsewhere in your CV, or cover letter, that your program requires an honors thesis, and that you plan to write one on the topic of X.

I agree with Vanadium 50 that you don't want to put anything on your CV that you haven't actually done. What I have seen is that people will sometimes have a separate section for "works in progress." More typically this is for where one has written and submitted a paper and it's currently in the review process. You won't get much credit for something that doesn't exist yet.

That said, you might want to mention some details about it in a cover letter. For example...

I am a fourth year physics major. For my honours thesis I've been working with Professor A studying (subject) using (special techniques). We have successfully generated (an important result), and my role in this was (what you actually did). Next year I will be looking to apply to your graduate program and...

1. What is the purpose of including an in-progress paper or thesis on a CV?

The purpose of including an in-progress paper or thesis on a CV is to showcase your ongoing research and academic projects. It can demonstrate your dedication and commitment to your field of study, and highlight your potential for future research and publications.

2. How do I list an in-progress paper or thesis on my CV?

You can list an in-progress paper or thesis on your CV by including the title, name of the journal or conference, and the expected date of completion or submission. You can also mention any co-authors or collaborators and provide a brief summary of the research project.

3. Should I include in-progress papers or theses on my CV even if they are not yet published?

Yes, it is beneficial to include in-progress papers or theses on your CV even if they are not yet published. It shows that you are actively engaged in research and can give potential employers or institutions an idea of the type of work you are currently working on.

4. Is it necessary to include all in-progress papers or theses on my CV?

No, it is not necessary to include all in-progress papers or theses on your CV. You should only include those that are relevant to your field of study and add value to your overall CV. It is more important to showcase the quality and significance of your research rather than the quantity.

5. Can I include in-progress papers or theses that are not related to my current field of study?

If the in-progress paper or thesis is not directly related to your current field of study, it is best to not include it on your CV. However, if it demonstrates transferable skills or knowledge that can be beneficial in your current field, you can mention it briefly in a separate section or in your cover letter.