Include MOOC certificates in transfer applications?

In summary, the individual is seeking ways to increase their chances of being accepted into a new school due to being unhappy at their current one. They have taken various online courses through platforms such as edX and Coursera, some of which were specifically aimed at seniors and graduates. They are wondering if including these courses in their application would improve their chances. The response is that any evidence of interest and self-study, including MOOCs, can be beneficial in the admissions process, even without certificates or assessments. However, the impact on credit may be minimal.
jack476
I'm miserable at my current school. I want to make my chances at being accepted elsewhere as high as possible. I take a lot of online courses through edX and Coursera, and I've done the verified certificate thing for a few of them, and some of them were targeted at seniors and graduates. I'm just wondering if including that somehow would improve my chances a little.

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course. Everything helps. Showing that you are interested in being educated and what you choose to spend your time on is a great differentiator. If you self-study things you should include those too, even if you have no evidence or assessment of your ability. So, to be clear, it's important to include the relevant MOOCs; the certificates are unlikely to matter much.

Note that you are unlikely to get "credit" for these things, but they will likely affect admission and placement.

1. What are MOOC certificates?

MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) certificates are online educational certifications offered by various universities, colleges, and organizations. They provide individuals with the opportunity to learn new skills and gain knowledge in a specific subject area.

2. Can MOOC certificates be included in transfer applications?

Yes, MOOC certificates can be included in transfer applications as they demonstrate a candidate's dedication and commitment to learning and enhancing their skills. They can also showcase a candidate's interest in a specific subject area and their ability to excel in an online learning environment.

3. How can MOOC certificates be beneficial in transfer applications?

MOOC certificates can be beneficial in transfer applications as they provide evidence of a candidate's academic abilities and achievements, especially if they have completed courses in a relevant field of study. They also show the candidate's motivation to continue learning and developing their skills.

4. Are all MOOC certificates considered equal in transfer applications?

No, not all MOOC certificates are considered equal in transfer applications. It is important to research and choose courses from reputable and accredited institutions to ensure their credibility and relevance to your desired transfer program. Admissions committees may also consider the difficulty level, duration, and completion rate of the courses when evaluating MOOC certificates.

5. Should I include all my MOOC certificates in my transfer application?

It is not necessary to include all your MOOC certificates in your transfer application. Instead, focus on the courses that are most relevant to your desired transfer program and highlight how they have contributed to your academic and personal growth. Including a few significant MOOC certificates can strengthen your application, but including too many may be overwhelming for admissions committees.