Increases in stresses and settlement to an existing building due to a new one

• Thread starter jessikat_93
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Building
In summary, The geotechnical engineer is asked to determine the settlement influence on an office building adjacent to an existing high rise complex. They are also asked to determine the increase in stresses on the complex due to construction of the office building. They are expected to present information on the estimated stresses and settlement on the exiting complex.
jessikat_93
1. I have been given a homework problem for my geotechnical engineering course and to be honest I don't even know where to start, I was hoping someone could give me a few hints as to where I should start.

The question is:

You are the geotechnical engineer for a proposed office building in a densely clustered city. The office building will be constructed adjacent to the existing office complex. The soil of the site is a deposit of very dense sand with E=E′=45 MPa and ν=ν′=0.3. The sand rests on a deep deposit of dense gravel. The existing high rise complex is founded on a concrete slab 100m x 120m located 2m below the ground surface, and transmits a load of 2400 MN to the soil. Your office foundation is 50m x 80m and transmits a load of 1000 MN. You also intended to locate your foundation at 2m below ground level. The front of your building is aligned with the existing office complex, and the side distance is 0.5m. The lesser dimension of each building is the frontal dimension. The owners of the existing building are concerned about the possible settlement of their building due to your building. You are invited to a meeting with your client, the owners of the exiting building and their technical staff. You are expected to determine what effects your office building would have on the exiting building. You only have one hour to make the preliminary calculations. You are expected to present the estimated increase in stresses and settlement of the exiting complex will due to construction of your office building. Prepare your analysis and presentation.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have been working on the question and found that I can find the settlement influence factor for each building and the vertical elastic settlement for each building as well as the increase in stresses for each building, however, I need to find how one building influences the other. I have found a pressure bulb graph in my textbook, however, I don't know how to correctly read it or if it is even relevant to the question. Please help me :)

Hi,
I have a similar question i have been posed with. Did you work out how to do it? Would love to hear if you have.

Regards

1. How does the construction of a new building affect the stresses and settlement of an existing building?

The construction of a new building can increase the stresses and settlement of an existing building in a few ways. First, the weight of the new building can cause additional load on the foundation of the existing building, leading to increased settlement. Second, the construction process itself can cause vibrations that may affect the stability of the existing building. Finally, if the new building is taller than the existing one, it can create wind forces that can put additional stress on the existing building.

2. Is it possible to prevent or minimize the impact of a new building on the stresses and settlement of an existing building?

Yes, it is possible to prevent or minimize the impact of a new building on the stresses and settlement of an existing building. This can be achieved by carefully planning the construction process and using techniques such as underpinning or soil stabilization to strengthen the foundation of the existing building. Additionally, structural supports can be added to distribute the weight of the new building more evenly and reduce the load on the existing building's foundation.

3. How can I determine the potential impacts of a new building on the stresses and settlement of an existing building?

The best way to determine the potential impacts of a new building on the stresses and settlement of an existing building is to conduct a thorough structural analysis. This can involve assessing the soil conditions, the weight and height of the new building, and the proximity to the existing building. It's also important to consider any potential changes in the surrounding environment, such as increased traffic or changes in groundwater levels.

4. Are there any warning signs that the stresses and settlement of an existing building may be affected by a new building?

Yes, there are some warning signs that the stresses and settlement of an existing building may be affected by a new building. These can include cracks in the walls or foundation, uneven floors, and doors or windows that are difficult to open or close. If you notice any of these signs, it's important to consult a structural engineer to assess the situation and determine the best course of action.

5. Can the stresses and settlement caused by a new building be reversed?

In most cases, the stresses and settlement caused by a new building cannot be reversed. However, with proper measures, the impact can be minimized and the stability of the existing building can be restored. It's important to address any issues as soon as they are detected to prevent further damage and ensure the safety of the building and its occupants.