Increasing the Earth's Rotational speed?

In summary, it is possible to position enough locations around the globe, that rocket thrust on the proper tangential direction might fire simultaneously and cause the Earths rotational speed to increase by some small amount, but this would have an indirect effect on the climate. The largest rocket booster ever created would not be enough to achieve this goal.
RonL
Gold Member
Is it possible to position enough locations around the globe, that rocket thrust on the proper tangential direction might fire simultaneously and cause the Earths rotational speed to increase by some small amount ?
What considerations would need to be contemplated as to how this would impact things such as global warming and effects on already shifted land masses ?

As prosperous as this might sound, is it possible for mankind to take some control of it's destiny, other than looking to colonizing other planets ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Every time you sit down you increase Earth's rotation speed by a small amount. It is analogous to a spinning skater pulling in her arms.

How would that relate to destiny?

Likes 256bits
I have been hearing for most of my life how Earth's spin speed, slowing down, is having an effect on weather patterns, I generally let my mind pass on to other things of more interest to me. This thought has been in my mind for a number of years, I just think it is a simple concept (if possible).

A couple, of many hits, web pages that come up on a google search, when it comes to weather patterns maybe we can turn back time a little (just a thought) o_O

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/news/topstory/2003/0210rotation.html

http://novan.info/earth.htm

ps. What if all rocket engine tests are aligned in a particular direction and if possible take place in a location more suitable to Earth's spin. A unified effort by most nations might have a positive outcome.

Last edited:
Interesting thought, I'd be inclined to think that if we did have the ability to alter Earth's rotation by means of rocket propulsion than the emissions from said rockets would impact the climate indirectly.

To change climate, you would need a large change in rotation rate, not a small one. To do that with rockets is beyond our abilities.

anorlunda said:
Every time you sit down you increase Earth's rotation speed by a small amount. It is analogous to a spinning skater pulling in her arms.

The difference made by a human sitting or standing is negligible compared to the mass being raised by global construction and mining. Then again, we are removing oil and coal from below ground which is allowing the denser rock above to sink. Would the melting of the ice caps will lead to a very slight increase in the height of the poles and therefore a corresponding reduction in the ground height at the equator? If so then global warming could lead to an increase in spin on its' own.

If we wanted to try to control the rotation I think a concerted effort to control ocean currents might be the least implausible approach...

anorlunda said:
To change climate, you would need a large change in rotation rate, not a small one. To do that with rockets is beyond our abilities.
If what I read is correct, there has been a decrease of 2 milliseconds from 1820 to now. Opinions of what things have been affected by that decrease might be quite varied.
All the recent activity having to do with rockets around the world and the projections of SpaceX for the next 50 years, has my interest, much where it was in the 60's and 70's. Tens of thousands of tests and launches over the next 50 years might represent a profound affect, if just a simple unified attempt to make all possible thrust actions aim in a direction that is positive to the rotation of Earth's increase of speed.
If everyone followed a simple practice of building a test platform, or redesigned existing ones to conform to a determined proper angle, there might be more results than expected. Just a simple thought I'm sure :smile:

I have been driving for over 50 years and I can remember a time it was common to see people throw trash from a car, it became illegal but a simple sign slogan made a big difference (at least in Texas) "every litter bit hurts" very seldom do I see someone throw something out. People do take pride in doing something good.

What might happen if Earth's speed increased 5 milliseconds ? I don't know, but there are some here that might have a few good ideas. ( and yes it might be absolutely not doable ) o_O:smile:

Have you considered doing some calculations to try and determine feasibility? Given the current rotational momentum of the Earth, and the amount of energy required to increase it by the amount proposed, how does that change in energy compare to the largest rocket booster ever created?

There are some numbers on Earth's rotational inertia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotational_energy
Wikipedia.org said:
An example is the calculation of the rotational kinetic energy of the Earth. As the Earth has a period of about 23.93 hours, it has an angular velocity of 7.29×10−5 rad/s. The Earth has a moment of inertia, I = 8.04×1037 kg·m2.[1] Therefore, it has a rotational kinetic energy of 2.138×1029 J.

Additionally, keep in mind that a rocket tied to the ground wouldn't work; its thrust would blow the atmosphere with the same force imparted at the ground, giving a net zero effect on Earth's rotation.

Mech_Engineer said:
Have you considered doing some calculations to try and determine feasibility? Given the current rotational momentum of the Earth, and the amount of energy required to increase it by the amount proposed, how does that change in energy compare to the largest rocket booster ever created?

There are some numbers on Earth's rotational inertia here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotational_energyAdditionally, keep in mind that a rocket tied to the ground wouldn't work; its thrust would blow the atmosphere with the same force imparted at the ground, giving a net zero effect on Earth's rotation.
I think I'm too old to live long enough, that I will learn to ask the right question before I embarrass myself :oops: :frown: Wish I had found this link first...it confirms what you said.

https://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/2ysnkn/could_we_theoretically_affect_Earth's_spin_by/

Likes anorlunda
As said i very much doubt the spin of the Earth slowing has very much effect on weather patterns. There are s many other bigger factors that effect the weather. Heat is probably the biggest.

Besides the planet slowing down is a natural thing, and eventually will stop spinning like the moon is tidal locked.

What is the Earth's rotational speed?

The Earth's rotational speed is the measure of how fast the Earth spins on its axis. It is approximately 1670 kilometers per hour at the equator.

Why would someone want to increase the Earth's rotational speed?

Increasing the Earth's rotational speed could potentially have several benefits, such as shorter days, stronger winds, and more efficient energy production from wind turbines.

How could the Earth's rotational speed be increased?

There are a few proposed methods for increasing the Earth's rotational speed, such as using large mirrors to reflect sunlight onto the Earth's surface or detonating nuclear bombs on the Earth's surface.

What are the potential consequences of increasing the Earth's rotational speed?

Some potential consequences of increasing the Earth's rotational speed include changes in climate patterns, increased natural disasters, and potential disruptions to ecosystems and wildlife.

Is it possible to control the Earth's rotational speed?

Currently, there is no known technology or method that can directly control the Earth's rotational speed. Any attempts to do so would also have significant ethical and environmental implications.