Independence of Operator expectation values

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions under which the operator expectation values of a product of operators can be expressed as a product of their individual expectation values. The relation is valid in the classical limit and can be used to neglect correlations between modes. The Gaussian approximation is suggested as a better method for capturing quantum effects. The use of Wick's theorem and the concept of a fluctuation operator are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a reference to a paper that applies these methods to the dynamics of open systems.
thariya
Hi!

I want to know under what conditions the operator expectation values of a product of operators can be expressed as a product of their individual expectation values. Specifically, under what conditions does the following relation hold for quantum operators (For my specific purpose, these are bosonic creation/annihilation operators for different modes 1 and 2)? Any reference I can read up would be great too!

$$<\hat{A_1}\hat{A_2}>=<\hat{A_1}><\hat{A_2}>$$

I'm trying to use it in the context of a Bose-Hubbard Hamiltonian with two coupled bosonic modes whose operator expectation values I kinda need to decouple. I've seen it used in other similar circumstances to decouple operator products of Fermionic and Bosonic operator expectations but the exact conditions under which this is valid was not mentioned. I think this is valid when operators commute, but would like to know the exact conditions.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
This decoupling is valid in the classical limit (the operator is its expectation value times unity), doing it means neglecting correlations (entanglement) between the modes. It can be a good approximation if the coupling between the modes is very weak, but then I don't really see the point of studying the BH Hamiltonian, at least not quantum-mechanically.

If you want to capture the most important quantum effects, a Gaussian approximation is a bit better, there you decouple expectation values of a large amount of operators into expectations of two operators trough Wick's theorem.

Likes thariya
thephystudent said:
This decoupling is valid in the classical limit (the operator is its expectation value times unity), doing it means neglecting correlations (entanglement) between the modes. It can be a good approximation if the coupling between the modes is very weak, but then I don't really see the point of studying the BH Hamiltonian, at least not quantum-mechanically.

If you want to capture the most important quantum effects, a Gaussian approximation is a bit better, there you decouple expectation values of a large amount of operators into expectations of two operators trough Wick's theorem.

Thanks for this! I think I will go the Gaussian approximation route. Wick's theorem doesn't quite help me since my operators(ladder operators) are actually already normal ordered and their individual operator expectations are not zero. I don't see how I could reduce that using Wick's theorem. Would you know if that is possible?

Thanks.

thariya said:
Thanks for this! I think I will go the Gaussian approximation route. Wick's theorem doesn't quite help me since my operators(ladder operators) are actually already normal ordered and their individual operator expectations are not zero. I don't see how I could reduce that using Wick's theorem. Would you know if that is possible?

Thanks.
You can define a fluctuation operator ##\hat{\delta}## trough ##\hat{A}=\langle \hat{A}\rangle+\hat{\delta}## and substitute. Then, you can separate the mean-field values (already classical numbers) from the fluctuations (for which you can do the Gaussian approximation). And if you want you can do the inverse substitution at the end of the calculation to get rid of fluctuation operators.
I recently published a paper on applying such methods to the dynamics open systems, you may find interesting or some references therein like [61]. If you have further remarks on it, feel free to send them in pm.

Likes thariya
thephystudent said:
You can define a fluctuation operator ##\hat{\delta}## trough ##\hat{A}=\langle \hat{A}\rangle+\hat{\delta}## and substitute. Then, you can separate the mean-field values (already classical numbers) from the fluctuations (for which you can do the Gaussian approximation). And if you want you can do the inverse substitution at the end of the calculation to get rid of fluctuation operators.
I recently published a paper on applying such methods to the dynamics open systems, you may find interesting or some references therein like [61]. If you have further remarks on it, feel free to send them in pm.

Thank you for that reference! And thank you for the offer of further discussion! I will take some time to go through your paper and will definitely take you up on that offer.

Likes thephystudent

1. What is the concept of "Independence of Operator expectation values" in scientific research?

The "Independence of Operator expectation values" refers to the principle that the expectation values of two different operators in a quantum mechanical system are independent of each other. This means that the measurement of one operator does not affect the measurement of the other operator, and the two operators can be measured simultaneously without any interference.

2. Why is the concept of "Independence of Operator expectation values" important in quantum mechanics?

The concept of "Independence of Operator expectation values" is important because it allows us to make simultaneous measurements of multiple properties of a quantum system without altering the results. This is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of quantum systems, which can exhibit unpredictable and counterintuitive behavior.

3. How is "Independence of Operator expectation values" related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

"Independence of Operator expectation values" is closely related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. This principle arises from the fact that the operators for position and momentum do not commute, and therefore their expectation values are not independent.

4. Can the "Independence of Operator expectation values" be violated in certain situations?

Yes, there are situations where the "Independence of Operator expectation values" can be violated. This occurs in entangled quantum states, where the measurement of one operator on one particle can affect the measurement of the other operator on a distant particle. This is known as quantum entanglement and is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

5. How does the concept of "Independence of Operator expectation values" apply to real-world applications?

The concept of "Independence of Operator expectation values" is important in various real-world applications, such as quantum computing and quantum communication. It allows for the manipulation and measurement of multiple quantum systems simultaneously, which is crucial for the development of advanced technologies that rely on quantum principles.