1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Independent and Dependent Variables

1. Feb 2, 2009 #1
    I'm doing a lab where i need to calculate the heat energy, or enthalpy using the equation

(delta) H = m x c x T

my reactions are going to be of a strong acid and a strong base:

Sulfuric Acid + Sodium Hydroxide→ Sodium Sulfate + Water

and of a wek acid and the same strong base:

Ethanoic Acid + Sodium Hydroxide → Sodium Ethanoate + Water.

So, for the planning of the lab, I have to put in the independent and dependent variables. For independent I intially put that what doesnt change is the strong base, and also time. For the dependent variables, i put the temperature of the reaction. However, my teacher says that I should still revise this. Any suggestions or help????

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look more closely at 'm', 'c', and 'T' (probably 'delta T'). Dependent variables are things you can control... like how much of a reagent to add. Independent variables are things you can't control or that you are measuring... like how much the temperature changed during a process given a certain amount of reagent A and B you used.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?