1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Induced carge on parallel infinite plates

1. Oct 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two infinite grounded parallel conducting planes are separated by a distance d. A point charge q is placed between the planes. Determine the induced surface charge densities as well as the total charges on the two planes.

2. Relevant equations
    Potential of a point charge:
    [tex]\Phi=\frac{q}{r}[/tex]

Electric Field/Potential relation:
    [tex]\vec{E}=-\nabla\Phi[/tex]

Electric Field discontinuity:
    [tex]4\pi\sigma[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I chose the x-axis to be perpendicular to the plates, with the plates at ±d/2, and the point charge q at some location a, 0<a<d/2 (it doesn't matter where, but I wanted it on the positive side of the x-axis).

Using the method of images, since both plates are grounded (zero potential), we need a point charge -q at x=d-a to balance the right plate. But then to balance the left plate we need a charge q at x=-2d+a and a charge -q at x=-2d-a. This process needs to be repeated an infinite number of times for the image charges to recreate the boundary conditions. They form a pattern where charges of q are located at x=±2nd+a and charges of -q at x=±(2n+1)d-a, where n is a non-negative integer (0, 1, 2, ...).

So for a point (x,y z) between the two plates, I get the following expression for the potential:
    [tex]\Phi(x,y,z)=q\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-2nd-a)^2+y^2+z^2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-(2n+1)d+a)^2+y^2+z^2}}\right)[/tex]

Since the discontinuity is related to the normal component of the electric field, which will be in the x direction, I'm only worried about the x component of the electric field. So using the gradient relation,
    [tex]\vec{E_x}(x,y,z)=q\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\frac{x-2nd-a}{((x-2nd-a)^2+y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}-\frac{x-(2n+1)d-a}{((x-(2n+1)d+a)^2+y^2+z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\right)[/tex]

To use the discontinuity fact, we need to know the value of the electric field as we come from the left and right of the plates. So for the plate at d/2, to the right E=0, and from the left, I chose point (d/2, 0, 0) for ease.
    [tex]\vec{E_x}(x,y,z)=4q\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{(d(1-4n)-2a)^2}-\frac{1}{(d(1+4n)-2a)^2}\right)[/tex]

That expression has a lot of algebraic simplification done to it. On instinct, I believe the series will converge, but it is not of any form I am familiar with, perhaps more simplification is needed. I suppose a better question might be, should I approach the problem in this way with the method of images, or is there some other approach/trick that would work better?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 14, 2009 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your series doesn't look quite right to me...

I this a typo, or did you really use this to calculate your series?

4. Oct 14, 2009 #3
    Yeah, that was a type, I meant -q at x=-d-a, the -q charges are at odd multiples odd multiples of d.

I actually think the first series is wrong anyway, it should have four terms, since there are ± signs for the locations of the image charges, and I moved to cylindrical coordinates with x running along the axis of the cylinder
    [tex]\Phi(x,r)=q\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-2nd-a)^2+r^2}}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x+2nd-a)^2+r^2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x-(2n+1)d+a)^2+r^2}}-\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x+(2n+1)d+a)^2+r^2}}\right)-\frac{q}{\sqrt{(x-a)^2+r^2}}[/tex]

The final term compensates for the fact that the potential from the actual point charge at x=a is counted twice in the sum when n=0.

Then the electric field in the x direction is just
    [tex]E_x(x,r)=q\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\frac{(x-2nd-a)}{((x-2nd-a)^2+r^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}+\frac{(x+2nd-a)}{((x+2nd-a)^2+r^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}-\frac{(x-(2n+1)d+a)}{((x-(2n+1)d+a)^2+r^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}-\frac{(x+(2n+1)d+a)}{((x+(2n+1)d+a)^2+r^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}\right)-\frac{q}{((x-a)^2+r^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

From the discontinuity of the electric field, I know the surface charge density is just
    [tex]\sigma_R=\frac{-E_x(d/2,r)}{4\pi}, \sigma_L=\frac{E_x(-d/2,r)}{4\pi}[/tex]

All terms in the charge densities are of the form
    [tex]\frac{c}{(c^2+r^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

Where c is constant, so when we integrate over the surface, we find
    [tex]2\pi\int_0^{\infty}\frac{crdr}{(c^2+r^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}}=\frac{-2\pi c}{\sqrt{c^2+r^2}}_0^{\infty}=2\pi[/tex]

When I use this to integrate the terms in the series for the two surface charge densities, it turns into an infinite sum of zeroes (assuming I can integrate the series term by term), so the only term that contributes is the final one I used to correct for the double counting in the sum. Then end result is induced charges of
    [tex]Q_{left}=-\frac{q}{2}, Q_{right}=\frac{q}{2}[/tex]

5. Oct 14, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm still not too sure abut your series....if the plates are at [itex]x=\pm\frac{d}{2}[/itex], shouldn't you have image charges of alternating sign at [itex]x=d-a,\;\frac{3}{2}d-a,\;2d-a,\;\text{etc.}[/itex] to balance the right-hand plate and image charges of alternating sign at [itex]x=-d+a,\;-\frac{3}{2}d+a,\;-2d+a,\;\text{etc.}[/itex] to balance the left-hand plate, and of course your original charge at [itex]x=a[/itex] leaving you with something like:

[tex]\Phi(x,y,z)=q\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left[\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{\sqrt {(x+\frac{n+2}{2}d-a)^2+y^2+z^2}}+\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{\sqrt{(x-\frac{n+2}{2}d+a)^2+y^2+z^2}}\right]+\frac{q}{\sqrt{(x-a)^2+y^2+z^2}}[/tex]

?

6. Oct 14, 2009 #5
    I'm pretty sure on it, I drew a picture of how I reasoned the locations. Blue dots are -q charges and red dots are +q charges, the plates are the thick black lines (sorry for the bad mspaint picture).

Attached Files:

7. Oct 14, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you host it on imageshack.us instead? Attachments usually take a while to get approved.

8. Oct 16, 2009 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, I suppose you will actually have image charges of alternating sign at [itex]x=d-a,\;2d+a,\;3d-a,\;\text{etc.}[/itex] to balance the right-hand plate and image charges of alternating sign at [itex]x=-d-a,\;-2d+a,\;-3d-a,\;\text{etc.}[/itex] to balance the left-hand plate. Giving,

[tex]\Phi(x,y,z)=q\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left[\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{\sqrt {(x-(n+1)d+(-1)^na)^2+y^2+z^2}}+\frac{(-1)^{n+1}}{\sqrt{(x+(n+1)d+(-1)^na)^2+y^2+z^2}}\right]+\frac{q}{\sqrt{(x-a)^2+y^2+z^2}}[/tex]

Which is equivalent to your series in post #3.:approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook