Resolving Inductance Issues: 0.2H Coil Resistance Calculation

In summary, the problem asks for the resistance of a 0.2H coil used to replace an inductor in a circuit with known time constant and resistance values. The solution involves using the formula L/R to find the total resistance of the circuit and then subtracting the known resistance to determine the coil resistance.
brenfox

Homework Statement

Determine the resistance of a 0.2H coil used to replace the inductor if the circuits time constant falls to 0.55ms.

Homework Equations

l/R

The Attempt at a Solution

L/R = 0.2H/R = 0.55ms
Transposing for R... R = 0.2/0.0055 = 36.36Ω is the resistance of the coil?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your English is not good so I don't know exactly what the problem is.

If it's to find the value of R in series with a pure inductor of L = 0.2H to give a time constant of 0.55 ms then your formula is right but you misrepresented 0.55 ms.

Sorry i failed to submit all the question. Here it is: An inductor of negligible resistance and an inductance of 0.2H is connected in series with a 330Ω resistor to a 12 d.c supply. Determine the resistance of a 0.2H coil used to replace the inductor if the circuits time constant falls to 0.55ms.

yep got my powers wrong. So it will be 0.2/0.00055 = 3.6Ω?

You have a perfect inductor L of 0.2H in series with R1 = 330 ohms and R2 with unknown resistance (to be solved).

What is the time constant of this configuration as a function of L, R1 and R2? L, R1 and the numerical time constant are known. Solve for R2.

Likes 1 person
R= 0.2/0.00055 = 363Ω is total resistance.

resistance - 330Ω = 33.6Ω is coil resistance when the circuits time constant falls to 0.55mS?

brenfox said:
R= 0.2/0.00055 = 363Ω is total resistance.

resistance - 330Ω = 33.6Ω is coil resistance when the circuits time constant falls to 0.55mS?

Right!

Likes 1 person

1. What is inductance and why is it important?

Inductance is a physical property of an electrical circuit that describes the ability of the circuit to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is important because it affects the behavior of electrical components and can impact the overall performance of a circuit.

2. How do I calculate the inductance of a coil with a resistance of 0.2H?

The inductance of a coil can be calculated using the formula L = R²/C, where L is the inductance in Henries, R is the resistance in Ohms, and C is the capacitance in Farads. For a coil with a resistance of 0.2H, the inductance can be calculated by multiplying 0.2 by the square of the resistance in Ohms.

3. What factors can affect the inductance of a coil?

The inductance of a coil can be affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the diameter and length of the coil, the material of the core, and the presence of nearby magnetic or conductive materials.

4. How can I troubleshoot inductance issues in a circuit?

If you are experiencing inductance issues in a circuit, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem. First, check all connections and ensure they are secure. Next, examine the values of the components in the circuit and make sure they are within the appropriate range. You can also try adjusting the distance between components or adding shielding to reduce the impact of nearby magnetic or conductive materials.

5. How can I minimize inductance issues in my circuit design?

To minimize inductance issues in a circuit design, there are a few strategies you can employ. First, use components with low inductance values whenever possible. Additionally, you can try to minimize the length of the circuit and keep components as close together as possible. Proper grounding and shielding can also help reduce inductance issues in a circuit.