Inductance, volt drop and time constant? Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a formula to determine the time constant and voltage drop across an inductor in a circuit with a 12V supply and a 330 ohm resistor. The value of the inductor is 0.2H. After solving for the time constant, the conversation also discusses the resistance value of a 0.2H coil used to replace the inductor if the time constant changes to 0.55ms.
ilovescience85
Good evening all, I am looking for some clarity on a question I am answering at the moment.

An inductor of negligible resistance and an inductance of 0.2H is connected in series with a 330ohm resistor to a 12v d.c. Supply determine:

A - the time constant of the circuit
B - the voltage drop across the inductor after two time constants
C - the voltage drop across the inductor after three time constants
D - the resistance of a 0.2H coil used to replace the inductor if the circuits time constant falls to 0.55s

Attempt so far
I = V/R = 12/330 = 36.36mA
A - t=L/R = 0.2/330 = 606microseconds
B - I'm trying to use Ve exp -Rt/L but it does seem to be giving me any answers that make sense?!
C - same as B
D - R= L/t = 0.2/0.00055 = 363.64 ohms

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I moved your thread to our homework section.

B - I'm trying to use Ve exp -Rt/L but it does seem to be giving me any answers that make sense?!
What do you get?

At (D), your value for t in the formula does not match the value given in the problem statement. I guess that should read 0.55ms?

Last edited:
Hi sorry for the delay i had a busy weekend.

When using the above equation i get as follows;

B - 12 exp -(330 *0.0012)/0.2 = 12 exp -1.98 = 1.66v
C - 12 exp -(330 *0.0018)/0.2 = 12 exp -2.97 = 0.62v

Regarding D yes sorry that should have read 0.55ms

ilovescience85 said:
When using the above equation i get as follows;

B - 12 exp -(330 *0.0012)/0.2 = 12 exp -1.98 = 1.66v
C - 12 exp -(330 *0.0018)/0.2 = 12 exp -2.97 = 0.62v
Apart from rounding errors, it is correct. Note that you can directly plug in -2 and -3 in the exponents, without calculating the time.

for reaching out for help with this question. Let's break down the concepts of inductance, volt drop, and time constant to better understand how to solve this problem.

Inductance is a property of an electrical circuit that describes its ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is measured in units of Henrys (H) and is denoted by the symbol L. In your circuit, the inductor has an inductance of 0.2H.

Volt drop, also known as voltage drop, is the decrease in voltage that occurs when current flows through a resistor. It is calculated using Ohm's Law: V = IR, where V is voltage, I is current, and R is resistance. In your circuit, the resistor has a resistance of 330 ohms.

The time constant of a circuit is a measure of how quickly the current or voltage in the circuit changes in response to a change in input. It is calculated using the formula t = L/R, where t is time, L is inductance, and R is resistance. In your circuit, the time constant is 606 microseconds.

Now, let's answer the given questions using this information.

A - To determine the time constant of the circuit, you correctly used the formula t = L/R. Plugging in the values of 0.2H for L and 330 ohms for R, we get a time constant of 606 microseconds.

B - To find the voltage drop across the inductor after two time constants, we can use the formula V = Ve^(-t/RC), where V is the initial voltage (12V in this case), e is the base of the natural logarithm, t is the time (2 time constants in this case), R is the resistance (330 ohms), and C is the capacitance (0.2H). Plugging in these values, we get a voltage drop of approximately 0.5V.

C - Similarly, to find the voltage drop across the inductor after three time constants, we can use the same formula with 3 time constants plugged in. This gives us a voltage drop of approximately 0.15V.

D - To determine the resistance of a 0.2H coil that would replace the inductor and result in a time constant of 0.55 seconds, we can rearrange the formula t = L/R to solve for R. This gives us R = L

1. What is inductance and how does it affect electrical circuits?

Inductance is the property of an electrical circuit or component that causes it to oppose any changes in current flow. It is measured in henrys (H) and is represented by the symbol L. Inductance is caused by the presence of a magnetic field, which is created when current flows through a conductor. In a circuit, inductance can cause a delay in the current response to changes in voltage, and it also affects the voltage drop across the circuit.

2. What is volt drop and how is it related to inductance?

Volt drop, also known as voltage drop, is the decrease in voltage that occurs when current flows through a circuit or component. It is caused by the resistance of the circuit or component, and inductance is one of the factors that contributes to this resistance. As current flows through an inductor, a magnetic field is created, which in turn creates a voltage drop. This can be seen as a delay in the response of current to changes in voltage.

3. How is time constant related to inductance and volt drop?

Time constant is a measure of the time it takes for the current in an inductor to reach a steady-state value. It is directly related to inductance and volt drop, as a higher inductance or volt drop will result in a longer time constant. Time constant can also be affected by other factors such as resistance and capacitance, but inductance and volt drop are the primary factors in determining the time constant of a circuit.

4. How can inductance, volt drop, and time constant be calculated?

Inductance can be calculated using the formula L = NΦ/I, where N is the number of turns in the inductor, Φ is the magnetic flux, and I is the current. Volt drop can be calculated using Ohm's law (V = IR) or by using the formula V = L(di/dt), where di/dt is the rate of change of current. Time constant can be calculated using the formula τ = L/R, where R is the resistance in the circuit.

5. How do these concepts impact the performance of electrical systems?

Inductance, volt drop, and time constant are important concepts in the design and performance of electrical systems. Inductance can cause delays in current response and can affect the voltage drop across a circuit, which can impact the overall efficiency of the system. Volt drop can cause power losses and affect the performance of individual components. Time constant is an important factor in determining the speed and stability of a circuit, and it is crucial in the design of systems such as filters and oscillators.