Induction Proof - show 2^n = sum of nCi (i = 0 to n)

I'm not sure how to use algebra to show that (n+1)Ci = (n+1)C0 + (n+1)C1 +... + (n+1)C(n+1) without using the binomial theorem.In summary, the student is struggling with a proof that 2^n = Ʃ(nCi) i from 0 -> n, and is trying to do so by induction and a combinatorial argument. They have shown the base case and assumed the inductive hypothesis, but are having trouble expanding (n+1)Ci and relating it to the previous terms. They have considered using Pascal's triangle and the definition of nCk, but are unsure of how to use algebra
lveenis

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,
In my assignment I've been asked to show that 2^n = Ʃ(nCi) i from 0 -> n
ie: 2^n = nC0 + nC1 + ... + nCn and I have to do this by induction and then also by a combinatorial argument.

Homework Equations

Right now I'm just working on the induction part.
BASE CASE: n = 0
ASSUME: 2^n = ƩnCi
PROVE: 2^(n+1) = Ʃ(n+1)Ci

The Attempt at a Solution

I've shown the base case, 2^0 = 1 and 0C0 = 1
Then I assumed that 2^k = ƩkCi (i from 0->k)

Now I've expanded (n+1)Ci = (n+1)C0 + (n+1)C1 +... + (n+1)C(n+1)
I know there must be a way to do this simply using algebra but I'm totally stumped.

I tried saying that 2^k+1 = 2(2^k) which we know from the assumption to be 2*(ƩkCi) but that doesn't seem to help me out.

If anyone could give me a hint which direction to go with the algebra I would really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
lveenis said:

Homework Statement

Hi everyone,
In my assignment I've been asked to show that 2^n = Ʃ(nCi) i from 0 -> n
ie: 2^n = nC0 + nC1 + ... + nCn and I have to do this by induction and then also by a combinatorial argument.

Homework Equations

Right now I'm just working on the induction part.
BASE CASE: n = 0
ASSUME: 2^n = ƩnCi
PROVE: 2^(n+1) = Ʃ(n+1)Ci

The Attempt at a Solution

I've shown the base case, 2^0 = 1 and 0C0 = 1
Then I assumed that 2^k = ƩkCi (i from 0->k)

Now I've expanded (n+1)Ci = (n+1)C0 + (n+1)C1 +... + (n+1)C(n+1)
I know there must be a way to do this simply using algebra but I'm totally stumped.

I tried saying that 2^k+1 = 2(2^k) which we know from the assumption to be 2*(ƩkCi) but that doesn't seem to help me out.

If anyone could give me a hint which direction to go with the algebra I would really appreciate it!

Look up Pascal's triangle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal's_triangle (yes, I'm serious!).

RGV

I'm still having some trouble with how the algebra works here :(. I know how to show it using the binomial theorem, but our prof explicitly asks us to prove it without using the binomial theorem. Is there a way to do it using the definition of nCk = n!/(n-k)!k! ?? I tried re-writing the sum of (k+1)Ci as (k+1)!/(k+1-i)!i! .. is this a good approach?

lveenis said:
I'm still having some trouble with how the algebra works here :(. I know how to show it using the binomial theorem, but our prof explicitly asks us to prove it without using the binomial theorem. Is there a way to do it using the definition of nCk = n!/(n-k)!k! ?? I tried re-writing the sum of (k+1)Ci as (k+1)!/(k+1-i)!i! .. is this a good approach?

Did you read my previous response?

RGV

I did yes, my prof was also actually talking about Pascal's triangle in class. I'm just having trouble relating the two I think. Their examples seem to focus around the binomial theorem.

1. How is induction used in this proof?

Induction is used to show that the statement is true for all natural numbers, starting from a base case and then assuming it is true for a certain value and proving that it is also true for the next value.

2. What is the base case for this proof?

The base case for this proof is when n=0, where 2^0 = sum of 0Ci (i = 0 to 0) = 1.

3. How is the inductive step performed in this proof?

The inductive step is performed by assuming the statement is true for a particular value of n, and then using this assumption to show that it is also true for the next value of n+1.

4. How is the binomial coefficient used in this proof?

The binomial coefficient, represented by nCi, is used to calculate the sum of the terms in the series. In this proof, it is used to show that 2^n can be expressed as the sum of the binomial coefficients for nCi.

5. Why is induction a useful method for proving this statement?

Induction is a useful method for proving this statement because it allows us to prove the statement is true for an infinite number of cases. By showing that it is true for a base case and then using the inductive step, we can demonstrate that the statement holds true for all natural numbers.