Infinite dimensional Hilbert Space

Could someone tell me in what sense the following photo of Hilbert is a infinite dimensional Hilbert Space?
xNNpZry.png

It's shown in a pdf I'm reading.

Perhaps I'm putting the chariot in front of the horses as one would say here in our country, by considering infinite as infinite dimensional?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Are you sure this is meant literally? It may be a joke comment. A Hilbert space is a metric space. I don't see any mention , neither implicit nor explicit of any metric.

Likes kent davidge
A Hilbert space can be finite-dimensional or infinite-dimensional. The objects in an infinite-dimensional Hilbert space are infinite sequences, and are considered to be infinite-dimensional vectors.

The caption under the picture isn't a Hilbert space, obviously -- I believe it is merely commenting on what is probably his most well-known work.

Likes kent davidge
martinbn
Science Advisor
May be if you show pictures (a), (b), ..., (o) and the context of all this would be better.

Likes kent davidge
martinbn
Science Advisor
Well, you can safely ignore that bit, these notes are not about Hilbert spaces. The picture is of course Hilbert himself, not a Hilbert space, perhaps it is supposed to be witty. If the space is infinite dimensional then it is not a manifold. I think that is the point to realize.

Likes kent davidge
martinbn
Science Advisor
Yes, but the notes from the link consider only manifolds that a locally ##\mathbb R^n##.

Likes kent davidge
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, there are Banach manifolds too, but it font know enough about them.

Likes kent davidge