Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inhomogeneous Linear System Solutions

1. Aug 11, 2014 #1
    Hi all, I have been searching around and cannot seem to find an answer. I am doing a past paper, and have the answers but do not understand one part. I hope someone can help.

The question is:

[itex]A \in M_{3 \times 3}(\mathbb{R})[/itex], [itex]\vec{b} \in \mathbb{R}^{3}[/itex]. The general solution to the equation [itex]A\vec{x} = \vec{b}[/itex] is given by:

[itex]\vec{x} = \lambda \left(\begin{array}{rrr|r}-1\\3\\2\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{rrr|r}0\\1\\2\end{array}\right)[/itex]

Let: [itex]\vec{y} = \left(\begin{array}{rrr|r}-1\\5\\6\end{array}\right)[/itex]

1) Calculate [itex]\mu_{1} , \mu_{2}[/itex] such that:

[itex]\vec{y} = \mu_{1} \left(\begin{array}{rrr|r}-1\\3\\2\end{array}\right) + \mu_{2}\left(\begin{array}{rrr|r}0\\1\\2\end{array}\right)[/itex]

2) Express [itex]A \vec{y}[/itex] in terms of [itex] \vec{b}[/itex]

I can do 1) without problem. However it is 2) that I am struggling with. Now I understand that the general solution [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] is made up of homogeneous + inhomogeneous solutions. However I am unable to tell which is which.

I know that the solution to the homogeneous part may be multiplied by a scalar and still be a solution. Would this automatically imply that the homogeneous part is [itex]\lambda \left(\begin{array}{rrr|r}-1\\3\\2\end{array}\right)[/itex]? Or is there another reason that I am missing?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2014 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your implication is correct. Since the answer for 1) is μ_1 = 1 and μ_2 = 2, then x = y/2, so Ay = 2b.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook