Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Inner Product in this step of the working

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    Hi guys, I'm not sure how to evaluate this inner product at step (3.8)

I know that:

##\hat {H} |\phi> = E |\phi>##

2cna71v.png

[tex] <E_n|\frac{\hat H}{\hbar \omega} + \frac{1}{2}|E_n> [/tex]

[tex] <E_n| \frac{\hat H}{\hbar \omega}|E_n> + <E_n|\frac{1}{2}|E_n> [/tex]

I also know that ##<\psi|\hat Q | \psi>## gives the average value of observable to ##\hat Q##. In this case, it's not ##\psi## but ##E_n##, does the same principle hold?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use equation (3.4).

4. Jan 21, 2014 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi George, I can only conclude that you figured out where he picked his 2 questions from. :biggrin:.

5. Jan 22, 2014 #4
    Okay, I got step 3.8. But For Step 3.9, I'm having a slight issue here:

[tex]E_n = <E_n|\hat H|E_n> = \frac{1}{2m}<E_n|(m\omega \hat x)^2 + \hat {p}^2|E_n>[/tex]
    [tex] = \frac{1}{2m}(m^2\omega^2)<E_n|\hat x \hat x|E_n> + \frac{1}{2m}<E_n|\hat p \hat p|E_n> [/tex]

Using ##\hat x|\phi> = x|\phi>## and ##\hat p |\phi> = p|\phi>##,

[tex] = \frac{1}{2m}(m^2\omega^2)<E_n|\hat x x|E_n> + \frac{1}{2m}<E_n|\hat p p|E_n>[/tex]

Removing the last "hats" from ##\hat p## and ##\hat x## and Using orthogonality ##<E_n|E_n> = 1 ##:

[tex] = \frac{1}{2m}\left ( (m\omega x)^2 + p^2 \right ) [/tex]

Is it wrong to assume that the energy eigenkets have norm = 1? That would be strange because later we show that ##E_n = (n + \frac{1}{2})\hbar \omega##

And, why is there an additional factor of ##\frac{1}{\omega}## in the expression?

6. Jan 22, 2014 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Energy eigenkets for the harmonic oscillator do have norm =1.

7. Jan 22, 2014 #6
    Ok, then I have no idea what's gone wrong with my working..

8. Jan 22, 2014 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The energy eigenket is not an eigenket of either x nor p. You need the ladder operators to evaluate the matrix elements.

9. Jan 22, 2014 #8
    How did they get 3.9 then?

10. Jan 22, 2014 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

<p E_n, p E_n> = ||p |E_n> ||^2 = <E_n, p^2 E_n>, because the eigenkets of energy are in the domain of both p and p^2, on which the 2 operators are essentially self-adjoint. p^2 is a positive operator, hence the inequality at the end.

The same goes for x.

11. Jan 22, 2014 #10
    I just don't get how ##<E_n|\hat x \hat x|E_n> = |x|E_n>|^2## and ##<E_n|\hat p \hat p|E_n> = |p|E_n>|^2##

12. Jan 22, 2014 #11

ChrisVer

Gold Member

hmm because in the same way you have in the complex numbers that:
    [itex] z^{*} z = |z|^{2}[/itex]
    In fact the ket can be interpreted as a vector on Hilber space, while the bra as its dual.
    So in the case of this, you can write:

[itex] < E_{n}| \hat{x} \hat{x} |E_{n}>= (\hat{x} |E_{n}>)^{t} \hat{x} |E_{n}>[/itex]
    using that x operator is self adjoint. The same goes for p... with the "t" I denoted the adjoint conjugate operation

13. Jan 22, 2014 #12
    That is true, but ##\hat x## and ##\hat p## are operators.. so the x and p in the norm should have hats?

##<E_n|\hat x \hat x|E_n> = |\hat x|E_n>|^2## and ##<E_n|\hat p \hat p|E_n> = |\hat p|E_n>|^2##

14. Jan 22, 2014 #13

ChrisVer

Gold Member

they do have hats... the person who wrote the things in the image you posted, doesn't use hats so much...

You can get a feeling there must be hats because otherwise there would be no reason to use the eigenvectors in kets... (he'd get 1)

15. Jan 22, 2014 #14
    This clears things up a little, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook