Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intake manifold for turbo applications

1. Jan 12, 2008 #1
    Hello all, this is my first post on this site, so I'll try not to look stupid.
    I am currently trying to design a new intake manifold for a turbo 1.6L engine. I have never attempted to this before, but I have a few ideas in mind, and would like some feedback. First, I could use a D-shape pipe for a plenum, and just straight pipe it to the head. My second thought is to use a turbo exhaust manifold, which has even length pipes to each cylinder, and modify it to fit the intake.
    The thing I am wondering is why every other turbo car uses a plenum style intake instead of a tube design. I understand that the plenum allows a build up of a pressure, but does it then not take longer to pressure up? If you used a header type intake, would it spool up extreemely then? Would you lose top end power because of a volume issue, or would the better, more even flow of air compensate for this.
    Sorry the post is so long, hope that someone has an answer or two for me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2008 #2
    Does anyone have any help for me? Perhaps someone with fluid mechanics knowledge.

4. Jan 14, 2008 #3
    just an old hot rodder
    but the intake is less important on a turbo
    as the pressure is a great equalizer and if you want more flow crank up the boost
    pipe size and shape goes away with pressure
    ext both before and after the turbo is where the gains are to be made
    inc the whole ext pipe system you can't go too big there

5. Jan 14, 2008 #4
    Thanks for the reply, but why do all of the aftermarket intakes use a large plenum and then use runners of of that? I was reading another post on this site that said that the larger the plenum, the longer the lag, and the shorter the runners, the more torque and less top end you get and vise versa. Just wondering why?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?