Integral, Measure and Derivative: A Unified Approach by Shilov

In summary, the individual is seeking information about the book "Integral, Measure and Derivative: A Unified Approach" by Shilov and its suitability for self-study. They are also looking for a text at a similar level of difficulty and clarity to Kreyszig's Functional Analysis. They have purchased Cohn's text on Measure Theory as a potential follow-up and have had positive experiences with the author's writing in the past.
jmjlt88
Greetings!

Can anyone tell me a little bit about the book Integral, Measure and Derivative: A Unified Approach by Shilov? Is it suitable for self-study? I am wishing to study the basics of measure theory. I will be using the text alongside Kreyszig's Funcational Analysis. Having already started the Kreyszig text, I can comment that it is crystal clear! As such, I am looking for a text at a similar level of difficulty (or written at the same level of clarity). Thank you for the input.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486635198/?tag=pfamazon01-20

P.S. I also purchased Cohn's text on Measure Theory. I have skimmed it; it seems "alright." I would maybe like to use that text as a follow up.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frankly, I haven't. However, I have read several of his other works (Elementary Real and Complex Analysis, Linear Algebra, Elementary Functional Analysis), and so I can attest to the superb quality of his writting.

1. What is the main concept behind "Integral, Measure and Derivative: A Unified Approach by Shilov"?

The main concept behind "Integral, Measure and Derivative: A Unified Approach by Shilov" is to present a unified approach to the study of the integral, measure, and derivative. It combines the theories of Riemann, Lebesgue, and Stieltjes to provide a comprehensive understanding of these fundamental concepts in mathematical analysis.

2. Who is the intended audience for this book?

The intended audience for this book is advanced undergraduate and graduate students, as well as researchers and professionals in mathematics and related fields. It assumes a solid foundation in calculus and real analysis.

3. How does this book differ from other textbooks on integral, measure, and derivative?

This book differs from other textbooks on integral, measure, and derivative by presenting a unified approach that integrates different theories and perspectives. It also includes a variety of examples and exercises to help readers gain a deeper understanding of the concepts.

4. Is this book suitable for self-study?

Yes, this book is suitable for self-study. It provides a clear and concise presentation of the material, with detailed explanations and examples. It also includes exercises and problems for readers to practice and test their understanding.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for researchers and professionals?

Yes, this book can be used as a reference for researchers and professionals in mathematics and related fields. It covers a wide range of topics and provides a comprehensive overview of the integral, measure, and derivative, making it a valuable resource for those working in these areas.