Integrating factor of (y+1)dx+(4x-y)dy=0

In summary,The person was trying to integrate dy/dx+4x(1/(1+y))=y/(y+1), and they got stuck on the next part. They then realized that y had to be replaced with t, and they got the answer 20x=4y-1+c(1+y)^-4.
edgarpokemon
I tried to put it in standard form as (dx/dy)+4x(1/(1+y))=y/(y+1). I get that the integrating factor is (y+1) but i am not sure if i am doing it right or what am I suppose to do next? I get (y+1) because the integrating of 1/(y+1) is ln(y+1) and since it has e, then ln cancels and i am left with (c(y+1)) as the integrating factor

Physics news on Phys.org
oh no I get integrating factor of (y+1)^4. that should be right. but i am confused about the next part?

now I get that (x)(1+y)^4=y(1+y)^4/4 + (1+y)^5/5. now I am really stuck! the answer should be 20x=4y-1+c(1+y)^-4. but i am not sure how to simplify to that

edgarpokemon said:
now I get that (x)(1+y)^4=y(1+y)^4/4 + (1+y)^5/5. now I am really stuck! the answer should be 20x=4y-1+c(1+y)^-4. but i am not sure how to simplify to that
Let's change y to t. On the right side you get an integral ## \int (t)(t+1)^3 \, dt ##.(I agree with your integrating factor of ## (y+1)^4 ##.) If you do it by parts using ## (1/4) \int t \, d(t+1)^4 ## , you do get the answer they give: ## x(t+1)^4=(1/4)t(t+1)^4-(1/4) \int (t+1)^4 \, dt =(1/4)t(t+1)^4-(1/20)(t+1)^5 +C ##. Finally, just divide out the ## (t+1)^4 ## and multiply by 20.

Last edited:
Likes edgarpokemon
Charles Link said:
Let's change y to t. On the right side you get an integral ## \int (t)(t+1)^3 \, dt ##.(I agree with your integrating factor of ## (y+1)^4 ##.) If you do it by parts using ## (1/4) \int t \, d(t+1)^4 ## , you do get the answer they give.

but I have to do integration by parts on the right side right? So i get t(t+1)^4/4 - (t+1)^5/5=t(t+1)^4. I find a common multiple on the left side and I get a 20, and I divide (t+1)^4 on the right side and the left side and I get, 20t=5t-4(t+1)+c(t+1)^-4. which is 20t=t-4+c(t+1)^-4. but I am not sure what am i doing wrong. I now it has to do with some sign error but I can't find it.

Likes Charles Link
edgarpokemon said:
but I have to do integration by parts on the right side right? So i get t(t+1)^4/4 - (t+1)^5/5=t(t+1)^4. I find a common multiple on the left side and I get a 20, and I divide (t+1)^4 on the right side and the left side and I get, 20t=5t-4(t+1)+c(t+1)^-4. which is 20t=t-4+c(t+1)^-4. but I am not sure what am i doing wrong. I now it has to do with some sign error but I can't find it.
The "4" should not be there in front of (t+1). See my post #4 which I edited after you saw it. It's 20x= 5t-(t+1)+c(t+1)^{-4}. (There's a 1/4 factor in the second term of your first line.)

Likes edgarpokemon
Charles Link said:
The "4" should not be there in front of (t+1). See my post #4 which I edited after you saw it. It's 20x= 5t-(t+1)+c(t+1)^{-4}
oooooohhh my God :'[ thank you for helping meee! engineering is not so for me I am changing majors! lol

1. What is an integrating factor?

An integrating factor is a function used in solving differential equations to make them easier to solve by transforming them into exact differentials.

2. How do you determine the integrating factor for a given differential equation?

To determine the integrating factor, we first need to rewrite the given differential equation in the form of dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x). Then, we can use the formula for integrating factor, which is e∫P(x)dx to find the integrating factor.

3. How do you solve the given differential equation using the integrating factor?

After finding the integrating factor, we multiply both sides of the differential equation by it. This will transform the equation into an exact differential, which can then be solved by integrating both sides and solving for y.

4. Can any differential equation be solved using the integrating factor method?

No, not all differential equations can be solved using the integrating factor method. This method can only be used for linear first-order differential equations, where the coefficient of dy/dx is a function of x only.

5. What is the purpose of using the integrating factor in solving differential equations?

The purpose of using the integrating factor is to simplify the process of solving differential equations by transforming them into exact differentials. This makes the equations easier to solve and allows us to find the solution more efficiently.