Integrating y/(x² + y²)^(3/2) with respect to x

  • Thread starter Thread starter Abdulwahab Hajar
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integrate
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Abdulwahab Hajar
Messages
56
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


Hello people
How would one integrate a function in the form of
∫ ydx/(x2 + y2)3/2

Homework Equations


I don't really know how to go about it

The Attempt at a Solution


I tried solving it by substitution but I can't find a suitable one...
any online tutorials for such an integral would be amazing!
Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. What substitutions did you try ?
 
I tried anything with x but that won't work, I checked it online I believe I have to try x = ytanθ... right?
and would it be a double substitution because we have function that the denominator is to the power of 3/2
 
Abdulwahab Hajar said:
I tried anything with x but that won't work, I checked it online I believe I have to try x = ytanθ... right?
and would it be a double substitution because we have function that the denominator is to the power of 3/2

If you think you need to substitute ##x = y \tan(\theta)##, then just go ahead and try it for yourself to see what you get.