Interdependent Recursive Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses a recursive system that needs to be solved in terms of m. The problem is that each recursion is dependent on the value from the other. The conversation suggests using numerical calculations to find a pattern and then using induction to prove the formula is correct for all m. It also suggests simplifying the recursion formulas and defining new variables to make the equations easier to work with.
Himmel
Hi, I have a system that I am trying so solve in terms of m, and have two recursive equations:
O5Igc.png

The problem for me is that each recursion is dependent on the value from the other! I know that they are both solvable, however I have no idea what approach I could take to express each only in terms of m. Rbbase, Rtbase and Rcc are all constants, and if it helps Rbbase is proportional to Rtbase.

Cheers, Himmel

Attachments

• O5Igc.png
    O5Igc.png
    26.4 KB · Views: 1,278
Mathematics news on Phys.org
With sequences like this, where there is obvious way in at first, a good way to develop intuitions that may point towards solutions is to first make numerical calculations of the sequence for a fair number of elements, say twenty. Assume values for the three constants and then use a calculator like R, Python or Matlab to calculate the first twenty values of the two sequences. Then change the constants a few times and see what changes. Hopefully a pattern will start to emerge, suggesting formulas that give values of the sequences in terms of only m and the three constants. For any candidate formula you think of, project the first twenty items using that, and see if they match. If they do, you might then set out to prove that the formula is correct for all m. Induction may well be a handy way to do such a proof.

I also notice that both recursion formulas simplify significantly if you divide both numerator and denominator by the numerator, giving you expressions of the form ##\frac{1}{1/R_{bbase}+1/\textrm{messy factor 1}}## and ##\frac{1}{1/R_{tbase}+1/\textrm{messy factor 2}}## where the 'messy factors' are the second factors in the numerators.

Last edited:
Let ##K_m = \frac{R_{bm}}{R_{tm}}##. Let ##R_{cc}=C## to avoid overusing R. Let ##D=R_{b0}## so Rb is gone and drop the index "t" on the remaining ##R_{tx}##.

Then $$R_{m} = \frac{
R_{0} \cdot \left( R_{m-1}(K_{m-1}+1) + \frac{C}{K_{m-1}} \right)
}{
R_{0} + \left( R_{m-1}(K_{m-1}+1) + \frac{C}{K_{m-1}} \right)
}$$
and
$$K_m R_{m} = \frac{
D \cdot \left( R_{m-1}K_{m-1} + CK_{m-1} \right)
}{
D + \left( R_{m-1}K_{m-1} + CK_{m-1} \right)
}$$
Define ##S_m = \frac{1}{R_m}##. And look at m+1 because it shortens the equation. Now
$$S_{m+1} = S_0 + \frac{1}{ \frac{1+K_m}{S_m}+\frac{C}{K_m} }$$
and
$$\frac{S_{m+1}}{K_{m+1}} = \frac{1}{D} + \frac{1}{\frac{K_m}{S_m} + C K_m}$$
I'm still not sure how to find direct expressions, but it looks much nicer already.

1. What is an interdependent recursive equation?

An interdependent recursive equation is a mathematical equation in which the value of one variable depends on the value of another variable, and that variable in turn depends on the first variable. This creates a cycle of dependency, or recursion, between the variables.

2. How are interdependent recursive equations used in science?

Interdependent recursive equations are commonly used in scientific fields such as physics, biology, and ecology to model complex systems and relationships between variables. They can also be used to make predictions and analyze data in various research studies.

3. What are some real-world examples of interdependent recursive equations?

One example is the Lotka-Volterra equations, which are used to model predator-prey relationships in ecology. Another example is the Hodgkin-Huxley model, which describes the electrical activity of neurons in the nervous system. These equations are used in real-world scenarios to understand and predict the behavior of these systems.

4. What are the challenges of working with interdependent recursive equations?

Interdependent recursive equations can be challenging to solve because of their complex nature. They often require advanced mathematical techniques and computer simulations to find solutions. Additionally, small errors in the initial values or parameters of the equation can lead to significant changes in the overall outcome.

5. How can we ensure the accuracy of results when using interdependent recursive equations?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to carefully validate and test the equations using known data or experimental results. Sensitivity analyses can also be performed to determine the impact of varying initial values and parameters on the final results. Additionally, peer review and replication of results by other scientists can help to verify the accuracy of the equations.