Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the form of the following recursion relation?

1. Dec 21, 2012 #1
    what is the "form" of the following recursion relation?

Hi all, I have a recursion relation I am trying to solve:

[itex]{X_n} = \frac{1}{{1 - {\alpha _0} \cdot {X_{n - 1}}}} \to {X_n} = ?[/itex]

What is the "mathematical form" of this recursion-relation? E.g., I know what a homogeneous, linear recursion-relation with constant coefficients looks like, and how to solve it; same with an inhomogeneous recursion relation. But what about this one? (alpha0 = a constant). All I know is that it looks like the closed-form solution to the infinite geometric sum, and I don't know where to go from there. If someone tells me what the mathematical form of this is, I can Google example-solutions that I can work off of, and/or see what a textbook says.

bjn

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 22, 2012 #2
    Re: what is the "form" of the following recursion relation?

Hi !

In attachment, you can see the method (not the whole calculus) which leads to the closed form.

Attached Files:

4. Dec 22, 2012 #3
    Re: what is the "form" of the following recursion relation?

Thanks, JJaquelin. As it turns out, I found a book on difference-equations, in which there is a topic on continued fractions, which is a less mainstream topic than differential equations, so I am reading that now.

FYI: the book is Elaydi Saber's book: "An Introduction to Difference Equations".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook