Interested in Brain Computer Interfacing

In summary, if you are interested in Brain Computer Interfacing, you might want to read books about the basics, such as Molecular Biology of the Cell and Neuroscience, and also research some recent work on the subject.
Kunal Aggarwal
Hello everyone I am new here so please forgive me if I am posting this question at wrong place.
I am pursuing Biomedical Engineering (2nd semester undergraduate). I am interested in Brain Computer Interfacing and want to study about it. So could anyone suggest me any good book to read that explains from basics. Also which prerequisite knowledge I should be having to understand about it well.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Kunal Aggarwal said:
Hello everyone I am new here so please forgive me if I am posting this question at wrong place.
I am pursuing Biomedical Engineering (2nd semester undergraduate). I am interested in Brain Computer Interfacing and want to study about it. So could anyone suggest me any good book to read that explains from basics. Also which prerequisite knowledge I should be having to understand about it well.
Thank you
Welcome to the PF.

Well, a keyboard is a Brain-Computer interface. So are a mouse and drawing tablet... :smile:

What other modalities do you have in mind? Virtual Reality headsets? EEG, PET scans, etc.?

Well I am basically interested in bionics.

So I want to study about how we can control a prosthetic just with our thoughts.

Thank you

Kunal Aggarwal said:
So I want to study about how we can control a prosthetic just with our thoughts.
EEG is not a very reliable way to control anything. There has been some work done on it, though. Do you have any links to the recent work?

I think there have been some other advances in controlling prosthetics -- are you aware of any such work? :smile:

Thank you for giving the link:smile:

No I don't know any links which gives information about recent work in this topic.

Also you are saying that EEG is not a reliable way for it but in last part of article what I can understand is that they are focusing on EEG technology to extract signals from brain
" In the future, researchers envision a kind of cap with sensors that an amputee or paralyzed person could wear that would feed information about brain activity to the robotic arm."

Kunal Aggarwal said:
" In the future, researchers envision a kind of cap with sensors that an amputee or paralyzed person could wear that would feed information about brain activity to the robotic arm."
They are wishing that it could work, but currently AFAIK, we are a long way from doing it. The information that you get via traditional EEG electrodes is very jumbled, with trends, but no great control by us. Through biofeedback training with EEG, you can gain some control over some of your brain rhythms, but nothing like "move right arm in" kind of resolution. The last time I looked at it was about 10 years ago, though, so maybe they've made more progress.

Likes Kunal Aggarwal
So could you suggest me any source to read from:smile:

Kunal Aggarwal said:
So could you suggest me any source to read from:smile:
Yeah, I would just start with some Google searches. I had good luck when I searched on controlling prosthetics with EEG. As you find articles close to what you want, you can modify your Google search terms to get more refined search results.

berkeman said:
Yeah, I would just start with some Google searches. I had good luck when I searched on controlling prosthetics with EEG. As you find articles close to what you want, you can modify your Google search terms to get more refined search results.
Thanks a lot

I have just started looking (in-depth) into this myself, and
Theodore Berger's hippocampus prosthetic (he is now the chief
science officer of a startup called Kernel) is interesting.
Theodore Berger has some publicly available papers.

Likes Kunal Aggarwal and berkeman
I also am faced with the task of learning from basics.
I've enjoyed Alberts et al.'s Molecular Biology of the Cell
and Mark F.Bear et al.'s Neuroscience.
Since you are young,
some "extra gloss" on math or physics will not hurt you, as it will
always apply in some way, or your brain will be trained in some way.
Set a high
goal and the most efficient progression of study material (or
activities) will evolve.

Likes berkeman
A search on ' Nerve controlled prosthetics ' generates a large number of good hits .

Likes Kunal Aggarwal and berkeman
Thanks a lot everyone for telling me about books and search keywords:smile:

1. What is Brain Computer Interfacing (BCI)?

Brain Computer Interfacing (BCI) is a technology that allows direct communication between a human brain and a computer. It involves the use of various techniques to read and interpret brain signals, which can then be used to control external devices or interact with virtual environments.

2. How does BCI work?

BCI works by using sensors to detect and measure brain activity, such as electrical signals or changes in blood flow. These signals are then processed and translated into commands that can be understood by a computer, which can then carry out the desired action.

3. What are the potential applications of BCI?

The potential applications of BCI are vast and varied. Some examples include assistive technologies for individuals with disabilities, neurorehabilitation for patients with brain injuries, and enhanced control for prosthetic devices. BCI also has potential uses in gaming, education, and virtual reality.

4. Is BCI safe?

BCI technology is generally considered safe, as it does not involve any invasive procedures and relies on non-invasive brain signal detection methods. However, like any new technology, there are still some risks and limitations that need to be addressed, such as potential privacy concerns and the need for further research and development.

5. What are the current challenges in BCI research?

Some of the biggest challenges in BCI research include improving the accuracy and reliability of brain signal detection and interpretation, developing more user-friendly and portable devices, and addressing ethical and privacy concerns. There is also a need for further collaboration and integration between different fields, such as neuroscience, computer science, and engineering, to advance BCI technology.