Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interesting studies of sound called 'Cymatics'.

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    Recently, I have come across some interesting studies of sound called 'Cymatics'. I was curious in how the modern scientific community views this intriguing field of research... Can anyone help to enlighten me on the subject?
  2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2010 #2
    Re: Cymatics

Wow, 53 visitors and 0 replies? You can check my profile stats for verification that I am 25 and not currently attending any college or university... so this is absolutely NOT some homework assignment! (^_^)
    I am simply, deeply interested in this field of study and just wish to further expand my knowledge of the subject. Such as; if vibration (sound) can 'alter' matter, can it also 'transmute' it? (from one element to another?) ...and if so, can a unique frequency be channeled into an object to force it to not only change shape, but form of substance altogether?
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  4. May 15, 2010 #3

I must admit that I have never heard that sound can be used to transmute elements, say, lead to gold. I seriously doubt it's possible.
  5. May 15, 2010 #4

Oh, and don't be concerned by the visitors and no replies.
    Happens all the time.
  6. May 15, 2010 #5

Thanks for the heads up, Pally! (^_^)

I wasn't really sure if cymatics could transmute matter as well as simply alter it... but I was just wondering if any other (independent or other) researchers have made any recent discoveries?
  7. Aug 27, 2010 #6

i simply adore cymatics and is my favorite domain of interest, in my mind it should be one of the most emporant domains in quantum physics
  8. Aug 27, 2010 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No transmutation of anything. While there are some very interesting phenomena represented in this field and perhaps some value in advanced physical research it certainly will not involve transmutation.

A quick Wiki search shows that currently http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymatics" [Broken] is more of a field of art then physics.

You may want to read up on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Chladni#Chladni_plates" they revel an amazing array of patterns depending on how and where vibrations are excited. You will find them used in some Physics labs to demonstrate the concept of vibrational modes.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook