Is Relativity Denial Still Prevalent in Science Forums?

  • Thread starter topsquark
  • Start date
  • #1
topsquark
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
MHB
2,021
803
[Mentors’ note: This thread has been spun off from https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...fic-fraud-than-anyone-wants-to-admit.1054790/]
hutchphd said:
It is indeed sad.
)) The good news is that physics (works or doesn't) whether you believe some ignoramus or not The rest is sound and fury.

Remember Feynman:: "Science is the belief in the belief in the ignorance of experts""
Emil Rupp? Cold fusion? The Bogdanovs?

String Theory? (KIDDING!! I'M KIDDING!!)

Fun fact:
Every couple of years or so somebody comes on PHF and tries to convince everyone of the "Einstein Conspiracy." Apparently, Einstein was grievously incorrect about SR and GR, but the Scientific community has decided to bury that fact. (I've never been able to get out of them the reason why.) I used to argue with them about how ridiculous this argument is. Now I simply do the following:
1. I mention that my life would be a lot easier if Einstein were indeed wrong because then I wouldn't have to try to answer questions from "arm-chair Physicists" fresh out of High School that have proven Einstein wrong using High School level Mathematics, and not even Physics.

(1a. I used to ask them to prove it by doing an experiment of their own, but they always say they that don't have enough money and that no one will listen to them.)

2. I ask them why I'm not getting paid to promote this conspiracy. Good conspiracies are hard work. I want fair compensation!

3. I lock the thread.

4. I ban them! (Yippee!)

-Dan
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Likes pinball1970, russ_watters, dextercioby and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
topsquark said:
Emil Rupp? Cold fusion? The Bogdanovs?

String Theory? (KIDDING!! I'M KIDDING!!)

Fun fact:
Every couple of years or so somebody comes on PHF and tries to convince everyone of the "Einstein Conspiracy." Apparently, Einstein was grievously incorrect about SR and GR, but the Scientific community has decided to bury that fact. (I've never been able to get out of them the reason why.) I used to argue with them about how ridiculous this argument is. Now I simply do the following:
1. I mention that my life would be a lot easier if Einstein were indeed wrong because then I wouldn't have to try to answer questions from "arm-chair Physicists" fresh out of High School that have proven Einstein wrong using High School level Mathematics, and not even Physics.

(1a. I used to ask them to prove it by doing an experiment of their own, but they always say they that don't have enough money and that no one will listen to them.)

2. I ask them why I'm not getting paid to promote this conspiracy. Good conspiracies are hard work. I want fair compensation!

3. I lock the thread.

4. I ban them! (Yippee!)

-Dan
Those arguing that relativity is incorrect. Does any of their argumentation have to do with whether GR adequately incorporates or otherwise addresses Mach's principle?
 
  • #3
eclars said:
Those arguing that relativity is incorrect. Does any of their argumentation have to do with whether GR adequately incorporates or otherwise addresses Mach's principle?
I don’t know about @topsquark’s relativity deniers, but we here at PhysicsForums have met and banned a fair sample of our own.

The overwhelming majority don’t get anywhere near arcana such as Mach’s principle and GR. They’ve already rejected special relativity.
 
  • Like
Likes russ_watters and topsquark
  • #4
Nugatory said:
They’ve already rejected special relativity.
And some of them have rejected algebra too.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes sbrothy, Tom.G, russ_watters and 1 other person
  • #5
Nugatory said:
They’ve already rejected special relativity.
Be thankful for that. It makes thing easier, I believe. Who is not clear that SR is just barely an appetizer and would never be able to stand alone is just not fit to discuss the real thing at all.
 
  • #6
Rive said:
Be thankful for that. It makes thing easier, I believe.

Well, we had one guy in Warsaw, who has a phd in computer science and wrote anti-relativity book (SR that is), and wanted to make a habilitation in relativity on Warsaw University. And the whole formal process started, our professors had to write a reviews, etc. Took a lot of effort of 'innocent' people, but of course it was dismissed. It was fun reading those reviews, though :oldbiggrin:
 
  • Haha
Likes docnet

Similar threads

  • General Discussion
Replies
18
Views
3K
  • Feedback and Announcements
Replies
25
Views
2K
Replies
22
Views
3K
  • General Discussion
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • General Discussion
Replies
4
Views
719
  • Quantum Interpretations and Foundations
4
Replies
138
Views
5K
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • Astronomy and Astrophysics
Replies
9
Views
27K
  • Special and General Relativity
Replies
1
Views
772
Back
Top