Interfacial PDs vs Electrode Potentials

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of electrode potential and its relationship to interfacial potential differences and reference electrodes. The IUPAC definition states that electrode potential is the emf of a cell where the couple in question is connected on the right side. This means that the electrode potential is equal to the difference between the interfacial potential of the electrode and the interfacial potential of the reference electrode. In the case of zero liquid junction potential, an electrode potential is then defined as the interfacial potential difference relative to the interfacial potential difference of the reference electrode, which is arbitrarily set to zero. This can be confusing because it means that the electrostatic potential of the hydrogen electrode is not actually set to zero volts,
etotheipi
Consider the cell ##Pt | H_2 | H^+ || Ag^+ | Ag##. I’ve sketched the electric potential against distance across the cell:

5F015906-A558-4556-9D38-29B247B71EE2.jpeg

I would think the electrode potential of the ##Ag+/Ag## electrode is ##V_{Ag+/Ag} - V_{H^+/H_2}##, which I’ve labelled on the right. We set ##V_{H^+/H_2} = 0## as per convention.

However, my teacher states that the electrode potential equals the interfacial potential difference between the electrode and electrolyte, subtract (relative to) the interfacial potential difference of the reference electrode/electrolyte. This might well be true in this first example, but I don’t think it generalises so can’t be right!

For instance, consider now if we have a potential drop across the electrolyte (e.g. due to an electrolyte-electrolyte interfacial PD or a voltage drop of some other origin). The new potential diagram becomes,

057155EF-1893-4F12-8CAE-E738B55E89C1.jpeg

Ostensibly now, my teacher’s definition no longer gives the correct definition of standard electrode potential (the difference of the interfacial potential differences has changed!). Whilst I assume that##V_{Ag+/Ag} - V_{H^+/H_2}## is still the same as in the first example?

So I wondered whether someone could clarify as to which is correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
If there is no current there is no potential drop "of some other origin" in the electrolyte.

Likes etotheipi
Borek said:
If there is no current there is no potential drop "of some other origin" in the electrolyte.

Thank you for your reply.

I agree; in that case then I will consider an equilibrium case with a current which approaches zero.

I found a quite illuminating article from the Journal of Chemical Education which says the following, hinging on the IUPAC definition of ##E^o## as the emf of a cell where the couple in question is connected on the right side,

##E_{M^{n+}/M} = (\phi_M - \phi_{M,ref}) = (\phi_M - \phi_{sol}) - (\phi_{M,ref} - \phi_{sol,ref})##

So, it appears my teacher was right! Though this is assuming zero liquid junction potential - I don't know how to correct for this!

In the case of zero liquid junction potential, an electrode potential is then the interfacial potential difference of the electrode in question relative to the interfacial potential difference of the reference electrode - which is arbitrarily set to zero.

Thats sort of weird, because I had assumed we were setting the electrostatic potential of the hydrogen electrode to zero volts, however it appears we are instead defining an (evidently non-zero) potential difference to be zero.

That's quite hard to understand. Are we essentially setting ##\phi_{M,ref} = \phi_{sol,ref}##, when in reality they are different (but unmeasurably so!)?

1. What is the difference between interfacial PDs and electrode potentials?

Interfacial PDs (potential differences) refer to the potential difference between two different phases or interfaces, such as between a solid electrode and an electrolyte solution. On the other hand, electrode potentials refer to the potential difference between an electrode and its surrounding electrolyte solution. In other words, interfacial PDs are a type of electrode potential.

2. How are interfacial PDs and electrode potentials measured?

Interfacial PDs are typically measured using a potentiometer, which is a device that measures the potential difference between two points. Electrode potentials, on the other hand, are measured using a reference electrode, which has a known potential and is used as a reference point for measuring the potential of the working electrode.

3. What factors affect interfacial PDs and electrode potentials?

Interfacial PDs and electrode potentials can be affected by a variety of factors, including the nature of the electrode material, the composition and concentration of the electrolyte solution, temperature, and the presence of impurities or other substances in the solution.

4. How do interfacial PDs and electrode potentials relate to electrochemical reactions?

Interfacial PDs and electrode potentials are closely related to electrochemical reactions, as they determine the direction and rate of these reactions. For example, a higher interfacial PD or electrode potential can drive a reaction in the forward direction, while a lower potential may favor the reverse reaction.

5. Can interfacial PDs and electrode potentials be manipulated?

Yes, interfacial PDs and electrode potentials can be manipulated by changing the experimental conditions, such as the electrode material, electrolyte solution, or temperature. They can also be controlled by applying an external potential, known as an applied potential, to the electrode. This allows for the control and optimization of electrochemical reactions for various applications.