1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interference from reflection off water across a lake

1. Dec 31, 2015 #1
    • Missing hoework template due to originally being posted elsewhere.
    #89 chapter 35
    A microwave transmitter at height a above the water of a wide lake transmits wavelength lambda to a receiver across the lake height x above the water. Reflected wave interferes with waves arriving directly.
    Assumptions: width of lake D is much greater than a or x, and lambda is greater than or equal to a

Write an expression for distance x for which the signal is a maximum.

I can write an expression for the path length difference using Pythagoras. I know to apply the formula: path difference = (m+0.5)lambda because the reflection will give a phase shift of 0.5 lambda.

I think that I can assume that the direct path is equal to D because of the first assumption.
    My equation is a mess and difficult to solve for x without making use of another assumption.
    I don't know what terms I can omit based on the assumptions allowing me to omit terms and simplify the equation

The answer is supposed to be x=(m+0.5)Dlambda/2a

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2015 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... without seeing your equation, we cannot tell either.
    The clue in the problem statement is the bit about D >> x,a ... this means that any terms in x/D will be very small ... you will usually be expected to make a binomial approximation someplace, or a small-angle approximation where there is trig. So look for the little angles.

Also check you have used all the relations you know... for instance, there are three triangles in your setup - two are right-angle triangles. The right angle triangles have both trig and pythagoras going for them.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted