1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

International PHP software diploma - worth?

1. Dec 10, 2014 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

A friend of a friend in E. Europe (Macedonia) wants to learn programming (PHP/MySQL) at a business college and hopes eventually to come here in work.

It has been my (possibly highly ignorant) understanding that, as far as Western corporations are concerned, diplomas from European are universally worth little more than the paper they're printed on. i.e. if he hopes to get a job here, he'd better pursue his education here. Generally true? or apocryphal?

This is the school: http://alexandria.com.mk/obuki/php-i-mysql-programer/?lang=en [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2014 #2
    There are some very good European universities. A PHP software diploma sounds pretty dubious though.

4. Dec 10, 2014 #3

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It's not a university. I don't think it's even a college. I guess it's a business school.
    And yeah, it's not a diploma; it's a certification.

(link fixed to display in English)

5. Dec 10, 2014 #4
    The certification likely doesn't account for much, but if he's skilled, then it shouldn't matter.

6. Dec 10, 2014 #5

DaveC426913

Gold Member

This is kind of what I was thinking. He'd need to get a few years of experience under his belt, and go on that strength, rather than on any education cred.

Of course, I still don't know whether the course itself will teach him what he needs to be a competent, competitive PHP programmer.

7. Dec 10, 2014 #6
    Does he have any other programming experience? I'd say it's a mistake to start with PHP.

8. Dec 10, 2014 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It would seem no. He's only 18.

9. Dec 12, 2014 #8
    The course prepares to pass the Zend PHP 5.3 Certification exam leading to Zend Certified Engineer (ZCE) certificate, which I am a holder of since three years. ZCE is conferred by Zend Technologies, not the Macedonian college. I believe it is recognized by some employers, but its significance is low compared to actual commercial experience. It may be useful in getting the first junior developer job.

PHP has gone a long way in the last few years. Lots of good code is written in it nowadays...

10. Dec 13, 2014 #9
    I'd stay away from the business school and get a real computer science degree.

11. Dec 14, 2014 #10
    I have reviewed many, many applications for a software development job. If one would not list a relevant degree (CS, math or some natural science or engineering), it would need to have something EXTRAORDINARY to make it to the next stage. A "certification" would not count as such.

So my advice is: do not waste time and money on this.

12. Dec 15, 2014 #11
    I don't think that the main "entry" in an application should mention a programming language, unless it is something like "Created C++."
    PHP is the kind of token to appear in a listing, as Java, C, Flash, JS, SQL, and so on.

Confirming what voko said from experience, I have never seen a good job opening without requirement of at least a technical degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook