Internet Explorer and Chrome get very slow in responding

In summary: I checked, I still have 110G on Drive C. Plenty of space.I went to C drive and do the compression anyway, it's slow! It's been going for an hour and no where close to finish.
yungman
Hi
Starting from yesterday, both Internet Explorer and Chrome get very slow in responding. Firefox is ok. These are things I did and I am stuck:

1) I restarted the computer. Didn't help.

2) I use Norton anti-virus. Since both failed at the same time, I went onto Norton and manual update to the latest. It was successful, but it did not help.

3) I reinstalled IE, it did not help. I have not done Chrome as it did not help with the IE already.

4) I then go to control panel, device manager to try to update the drivers on the computer. The device manager took a long long time to open. I check the "computer", it said the driver is up to date. I am still doing the others...slowly.

What should I do?

Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
Also, there are a lot of drivers to check, is there any command to tell the computer to check all the drivers and update if necessary?

I notice the following are slow to response in Control panel: Device & Printer, Sound, Device Manager. So there's definitely problem.

I since restored the system back to 8/21 before I have any problem. It got worst. The Control Panel still has the problem. IE is still slow. On top, I can't even open Chrome anymore.

Starting to feel it's more than software problem, starting to feel it's hardware. Is it time to junk this computer and buy a new one?

Have you checked your drives for available space. If there is not much room, everything will slow down. I use "Clean Master" to get rid of unused junk.

mathman said:
Have you checked your drives for available space. If there is not much room, everything will slow down. I use "Clean Master" to get rid of unused junk.
Thanks for the reply, I checked, I still have 110G on Drive C. Plenty of space.

I went to C drive and do the compression anyway, it's slow! It's been going for an hour and no where close to finish.

yungman said:
Hi
Starting from yesterday, both Internet Explorer and Chrome get very slow in responding. Firefox is ok. These are things I did and I am stuck:

1) I restarted the computer. Didn't help.

2) I use Norton anti-virus. Since both failed at the same time, I went onto Norton and manual update to the latest. It was successful, but it did not help.

3) I reinstalled IE, it did not help. I have not done Chrome as it did not help with the IE already.

4) I then go to control panel, device manager to try to update the drivers on the computer. The device manager took a long long time to open. I check the "computer", it said the driver is up to date. I am still doing the others...slowly.

What should I do?

Thanks
Which reminds me that I've been using my computer for over a month now without cloning this drive... Thanks!

I finished compression, I have 118G free space ( got 7G out of it). I had to reinstall Chrome. Things seems to work a lot better, cautionally say it's back to normal! We'll see.

It just doesn't make sense, I don't believe 7G extra will make a difference when I have 111G free space already. I did update quite a few of device driver, it took a long time, it did flagged me to restart after a long time. After the restart, I reinstall Chrome, everything seems to work now.

I'll come back when I have more info to tell

Thanks

1. Why does Internet Explorer and Chrome get very slow in responding?

There are a few different reasons why Internet Explorer and Chrome may become slow in responding. One possibility is that there are too many tabs or windows open, which can overload the browser and slow down its performance. Another possibility is that there are too many extensions or add-ons installed, which can also affect the browser's speed. Additionally, outdated software or a lack of regular updates to the browsers can also contribute to slow response times.

2. How can I improve the speed of Internet Explorer and Chrome?

There are several steps you can take to improve the speed of Internet Explorer and Chrome. First, try closing any unnecessary tabs or windows and limit the number of extensions or add-ons you have installed. You can also try clearing your browsing history, cache, and cookies, as these can all affect the browser's performance. Additionally, make sure that your browsers are up to date and consider using a different browser if the issue persists.

3. Is my internet connection to blame for the slow response?

While a slow internet connection can certainly impact the speed of your browsing, it is not always the cause of slow response times in Internet Explorer and Chrome. If you have a strong internet connection but still experience slow response, it is more likely due to the factors mentioned in the previous questions, such as too many tabs or outdated software.

4. Can malware or viruses affect the speed of my browser?

Yes, malware and viruses can certainly affect the speed of your browser. These malicious programs can cause your browser to run slower and may even redirect you to unwanted websites. It is important to regularly update your antivirus software and run scans to detect and remove any potential threats that could be slowing down your browser.

5. Are there any other tips for improving the speed of my browsers?

In addition to the steps mentioned above, there are a few other tips you can try for improving the speed of Internet Explorer and Chrome. These include disabling auto-play videos and animations, using a lightweight theme, and adjusting your browser's settings to limit the amount of data it stores. You can also consider optimizing your computer's performance by closing any unnecessary programs or running a disk cleanup to free up space on your hard drive.