Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics - which one?

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of which interpretation of QM is considered the 'correct' one, with one participant stating that they believe the concept of interpretation to be unimportant as long as QM can accurately predict experimental outcomes. They identify as belonging to the "shut up and calculate" or "don't care" camp, which is a common view among working physicists. The topic of interpretation is not frequently discussed or taught in courses.
-DaWe
Hello,

Before I ask, I'd just to say that I know this has been heavily discussed before, but I am asking for peoples' insight directly as this is for a report I'm currently working on, hence why I'm not just looking through old posts using the search option. So I'm sorry if this may be of an annoyance to anybody.

So, the question I'd like to pose to the people here is; which interpretation of QM do you go by/believe is the 'correct' one and why? And why don't you go by any of the others instead?

Thank you everyone. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the whole concept of an interpretation is if not meaningless so at least not very interesting. This does not mean that I did not once wonder about these things, but I've found that the more I actually work with QM related phenomena, the less I care. QM can predict the outcome of experiments, and this is all that really matters.

So I guess I belong to either the "shut up and calculate" or "don't care" camp, depending on when you ask me :tongue2:

Note that this is probably the majority view among working physicists, it is simply an issue that comes up so rarely that most people don't care (nor do they know much about different interpretations, it is not something that is usually covered in courses)

1. What is the most widely accepted interpretation of quantum mechanics?

The most widely accepted interpretation of quantum mechanics is the Copenhagen interpretation, which was developed by Niels Bohr and Werner Heisenberg in the 1920s. This interpretation states that quantum systems exist in a state of superposition until they are observed, at which point the wave function collapses and a definitive outcome is observed.

2. What is the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics?

The many-worlds interpretation, also known as the parallel universes theory, suggests that every possible outcome of a quantum event actually occurs in a separate parallel universe. This interpretation was proposed by Hugh Everett III in the 1950s and is still a topic of debate among scientists.

3. What is the pilot wave theory in quantum mechanics?

The pilot wave theory, also known as the de Broglie-Bohm theory, suggests that quantum systems are guided by a hidden pilot wave that determines their behavior. This theory was proposed by Louis de Broglie and David Bohm in the 1950s as an alternative to the Copenhagen interpretation.

4. What is the objective collapse theory in quantum mechanics?

The objective collapse theory, also known as the spontaneous collapse theory, proposes that quantum systems do not exist in a state of superposition and instead collapse to a definite outcome when they interact with their surroundings. This theory was developed in the 1980s by Giancarlo Ghirardi, Alberto Rimini, and Tullio Weber.

5. What is the role of consciousness in the interpretation of quantum mechanics?

This is a highly debated topic in quantum mechanics, with some interpretations suggesting that consciousness plays a role in the collapse of the wave function, while others argue that consciousness is not necessary for the collapse to occur. This is still an area of active research and there is no consensus among scientists on the role of consciousness in quantum mechanics.