Intersections of Sine Graphs and Biorhythms

In summary, the conversation is about finding the points of intersection between three different sine graphs representing physical, emotional, and intellectual biorhythms. The cycles of each biorhythm are given in days and converted into equations. The question is how to find when all three graphs will have the same x-value at once. It is suggested to use the lowest common multiple of their periods, but it is unclear if negative biorhythms make sense. The person asking the question clarifies that biorhythms are charts that illustrate the influence of physical, emotional, and intellectual cycles on one's life. The goal is to calculate when critical days, where all three lines intersect, occur. The solution involves solving an equation involving sine waves. The
Trav44

Homework Statement

Hi guys I was wondering how to find the points of intersections between 3 different sine graphs.

For an assignment I am trying to find when my three biorhythms (Physical, Emotional, Intellectual) will all cross at once.

Each cycle runs on the following time frame:

Physical Cycle - 23 days

Emotional Cycle - 28 days

Intellectual Cycle - 33 days

Homework Equations

I have converted the three into equations

Physical
A=100 for 100%
B=
T=2pi/B which can be re-arranged to B=2pi/T
B=2pi/23
B=0.2732
C=N/A
D=N/A
y=100sin0.2732x

Emotional
A=100 for 100%
B=
B=2pi/28
B=0.2244
C=N/A
D=N/A
y=100sin0.2244x

Intellectual
A=100 for 100%
B=
B=2pi/33
B=0.1904
C=N/A
D=N/A
y=100sin0.1904x

Am I calculating the equation for each of these graphs correctly?

How do I find when all of the graphs will equal the same x-value at one time?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where I would start? Is there an equation for this? or do i put a certain number as the x-value for each graph? Find factors of the periods multiplied together? Something else?

Any help will be much appreciated thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Trav44 said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys I was wondering how to find the points of intersections between 3 different sine graphs.

For an assignment I am trying to find when my three biorhythms (Physical, Emotional, Intellectual) will all cross at once.

Each cycle runs on the following time frame:

Physical Cycle - 23 days

Emotional Cycle - 28 days

Intellectual Cycle - 33 days

Homework Equations

I have converted the three into equations

Physical
A=100 for 100%
B=
B=2pi/23
B=0.2732
C=N/A
D=N/A
y=100sin0.2732x

Emotional
A=100 for 100%
B=
B=2pi/28
B=0.2244
C=N/A
D=N/A
y=100sin0.2244x

Intellectual
A=100 for 100%
B=
B=2pi/33
B=0.1904
C=N/A
D=N/A
y=100sin0.1904x

Am I calculating the equation for each of these graphs correctly?

How do I find when all of the graphs will equal the same x-value at one time?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where I would start? Is there an equation for this? or do i put a certain number as the x-value for each graph? Find factors of the periods multiplied together? Something else?

Any help will be much appreciated thank you :)

I suppose you mean have the same y values for some value of x? Your three sines all start at 0 and they will all be 0 again at the common period, which is the lowest common multiple of their periods: 23*28*33 = 21252 days = 58 years. Of course that's assuming all three traits are at zero to start with. And do negative biorhythms make sense?

I doubt the three curves cross at any other time, but I'm just guessing. But, then, I don't know anything about biorhythms, such as, for example, are they really periodic?

Thanks for the quick reply but that's not exactly what I was looking for :/

Guess I should have explained what biorhythms are.

http://www.facade.com/biorhythm/

They are charts that illustrate the principle that we are influenced by physical, emotional, and intellectual cycles. Many people report that they can improve the quality of their lives by monitoring the highs and lows of these cycles and acting accordingly.

They start from your day of birth so their starting point on the x-axis is different for everyone.
The x-axis is a measure of time in days represented by dates

They are 100% periodic

When two of the lines cross it is called a 'critical day'
When three lines cross it is called a 'double critical day'

I am trying to calculate when these critical days occur.

Below are 2 example pictures of biorhythms:

One with just the biorhythm sine graphs
and one indicating what a critical day is (RED BOX).

Thanks for any help :)

Attachments

• biorhythm example.png
    biorhythm example.png
    3.9 KB · Views: 738
  • biorhythm example - Copy.png
    biorhythm example - Copy.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 686
If you want to see when two out of phase sine waves cross each other you need to solve an equation in the form ##\sin x =\sin(x-a) = \sin x \cos a - \cos x \sin a##. This can be expressed as$$
\tan x = \frac{-\sin a}{1-\cos a}$$which can be solved numerically. I don't care to go into more detail with this problem because, apparently, biorhythms are controversial in the science community, and it would seem like a waste my time. Good luck with your project.

1. What are the general properties of sine graphs?

The sine graph is a periodic function with a period of 2π, meaning it repeats itself every 2π units. It has a maximum value of 1 and a minimum value of -1. The graph is symmetric about the origin, and it crosses the x-axis at 0, π, 2π, etc.

2. How do you find the intersection points of two sine graphs?

To find the intersection points of two sine graphs, set both equations equal to each other and solve for x. The resulting x-values will be the x-coordinates of the intersection points. Then, substitute these x-values into either of the original equations to find the corresponding y-values.

3. What is the significance of the amplitude in a sine graph?

The amplitude in a sine graph is the distance between the midline and the maximum or minimum value of the graph. It determines the vertical stretch or compression of the graph. A larger amplitude means a steeper curve, while a smaller amplitude means a flatter curve.

4. Can two sine graphs have an infinite number of intersection points?

Yes, it is possible for two sine graphs to have an infinite number of intersection points. This occurs when the two graphs have the same period and their amplitudes and midlines are positioned in a way that they intersect at every period.

5. How do you know if two sine graphs will intersect?

Two sine graphs will intersect if they have the same period and their amplitudes and midlines are positioned in a way that they intersect at least once within one period. If the amplitudes and midlines are not positioned in this way, the graphs will not intersect.