Is there Scientific Evidence of Biorhythms?

In summary, biorhythms have been known about for many decades, with 3 rhythms - 23, 28, and 33 day cycles - being identified as physical, emotional, and mental respectively. It is believed that these rhythms may be governed by external forces such as the earth, moon, or sun, or perhaps by collective human brain frequency pulsing. While research has been conducted on biological rhythms and the role of time in biological processes, there is a lack of scientific evidence specifically measuring the 23, 28, and 33 day cycles. Due to the lack of scientific support, discussions on this topic are not supported on this platform.
leachim
TL;DR Summary
Are there any scientific measurements of biorhythms
Biorhythms have been "known" about for many decades

There are 3 rhythms - 23, 28 and 33 day cycles - physical, emotional and mental respectively.

biorhythms pic

These must have been calculated using observation of human qualities and noting them down

My question is - are there any external forces which govern these cycles which can be measured scientifically.

It must be governed by possibly earth, moon or sun as these cycles do not deviate from whole days ??

Do any of these bodies have long term waves or emanations that have been measured

Or maybe it is based on a collective human brain frequency pulsing - but that is getting a bit woo woo !

Any suggestions appreciated !

Biology news on Phys.org
leachim said:
Summary:: Are there any scientific measurements of biorhythms

Biorhythms have been "known" about for many decades

There are 3 rhythms - 23, 28 and 33 day cycles - physical, emotional and mental respectively.

biorhythms pic
You should provide references for where your information came from and some examples of each rhythm.
I have no idea what the second two periods refer to.

Biorhythms is a very broad category. It include circadian rhythms (~24 hour daily, day night rhythms), monthly or other physiological periods, any rhythmic movements of contractions (which can by of almost any period length), relatively quick rhythms in the nervous system.

Your 23 hour period probably corresponds the circadian rhythm, which free cycles to about 23 hours when removed from daily environmental sensory inputs. There are lots of experiments on this.
Daily inputs (daily sunlight inputs resets circadian rhythms to keep them in sync with daily environmental cycles).

Rhythms have been studied in many different animals, plants fungi, and bacteria, as well as humans.
Some mutations in some animals can effect more than one kind of rhythm like circadian and GI rhythms, so some of these different kinds of rhythms may use the same molecular components.
Mutations have been found in insects, worms, and mammals that I know of, and probably other species.

Circadian rhythms in single cell organisms are based on a chemical cycle in individual cells.
In vertebrate animals, circadian rhythms involve a combination of the pineal, the suprachiasmatic nucleus, retinal inputs and superior cervical ganglion. These neural structures interact to reinforce their ~24 rhythm. In different animals, sensory inputs from different structures are used to keep the animals rhythms in sync with their environment, in different animals.

Changes in the length of day (or conversely, night) over the period of a season can be noticed physiologically by animals (and I am guessing plants) so they can adapt to the different needs of various seasons. Shorter days --> fall/winter coming, longer days --> spring/summer coming.
There may be moon effects I am not aware of (full moon, more light at night).

Longer cycles:
Other than syncing with general environmental variables like day length, syncing within populations may happen through pheromones so that menstruating females are synchromized.
Similar pheromonal interactions may act to synchronize male sexual activity with female receptiveness (talking animals, not humans here).

• Informative
Likes Evo, Klystron, phinds and 1 other person
OK

It is 23 days, not hours

Some research here:
See page 9 for conclusion

These 23, 28 & 33 days are fixed and not variable

BillTre said:
I have no idea what the second two periods refer to.

1970's vintage psuedoscience.

Looks good !

Although I am trying to find out specifically about whether 23, 28 and 33 day cycles have or has been measured in some form from anywhere.

Although most people will deny the existence of this, I am a firm believer in the existence of the rhythms after researching it for 20 years, but would love to find some scientific measurements from somewhere - I may have to wait a long time...

Longer than you thought, perhaps. Thread closed. PF does not support speculation or unsupported claims.

Likes phinds and berkeman

1. What are biorhythms?

Biorhythms are a theory that suggests our lives are influenced by three cyclic rhythms: physical, emotional, and intellectual. These rhythms are said to fluctuate in a predictable pattern, affecting our behavior and performance.

2. Is there scientific evidence to support biorhythms?

The scientific community does not recognize biorhythms as a valid concept. Studies have not found any significant correlation between biorhythms and human behavior or performance. Additionally, the idea of biorhythms goes against the laws of biology and physics.

3. What are some common claims about biorhythms?

Some common claims about biorhythms include that they can predict the best days for physical activities, romance, and decision-making. However, these claims are not supported by scientific evidence and are considered pseudoscience.

4. Why do some people believe in biorhythms?

People may believe in biorhythms because they offer a sense of control and predictability in life. Additionally, some may find patterns in their own behavior that seem to align with biorhythms, leading them to believe in their validity.

5. Are there any risks associated with believing in biorhythms?

Believing in biorhythms can lead to a false sense of control and reliance on these patterns. This can potentially cause individuals to make important decisions based on these patterns, rather than factual information. It is important to rely on scientific evidence and critical thinking when making decisions.