Intricacies of Applying to Graduate Studies

  • Topic: Admissions 
  • Thread starter Thread starter CivilSigma
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graduate Studies
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
CivilSigma
Messages
227
Reaction score
58
Hello,

I am planning to apply for a masters in Civil Engineering (structural) and I am a bit overwhelmed with how to start.

My first issue, does the university name matter? Due to recommendation from friends, family and online rankings I am considering: University of McGill, University of McMaster and University of Ottawa. Does anyone recommend a particular institution in Canada? I know that it is the type of research that is most important but at the same time I would like to pick a university that is renowned for reputation.

My second problem, is how to approach the professors about my interest in research. How do I avoid seeming uncertain / vague about the research topics? because I only know that I want to do something structural related. As this is step 1 in applying to a masters, can some one please share with me their experiences on how they approached those initial interactions with their supervisors?

And if one one has any tips for applying to graduate studies I will really appreciate it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CarmineS
Physics news on Phys.org
CivilSigma said:
Hello,

I am planning to apply for a masters in Civil Engineering (structural) and I am a bit overwhelmed with how to start.

My first issue, does the university name matter? Due to recommendation from friends, family and online rankings I am considering: University of McGill, University of McMaster and University of Ottawa. Does anyone recommend a particular institution in Canada? I know that it is the type of research that is most important but at the same time I would like to pick a university that is renowned for reputation.

My second problem, is how to approach the professors about my interest in research. How do I avoid seeming uncertain / vague about the research topics? because I only know that I want to do something structural related. As this is step 1 in applying to a masters, can some one please share with me their experiences on how they approached those initial interactions with their supervisors?

And if one one has any tips for applying to graduate studies I will really appreciate it.

Hey CivilSigma, I just wanted to thank you for the help explaining your academic experiences with me.

Employers do look at the name of universities. A recent study (I tried looking through Google Scholar but couldn't find it) states that the name of the university, for engineering degree holders only results in a 3.4% increase in pay, but they were MUCH more employed than the other ones. You pay more for an education but don't get paid more! Anyway, my answer for what university you should go to may be a bit biased. I would say that you should go to University of McGill. That's where my mother graduated from and she says she enjoyed her time there. You are worried about being vague or uncertain with your professors? If this is a topic you are willing to research, then it is a topic you are passionate about. Sit down and do some research until you are certain about your topic.

All the best,

CarmineS
P.S. I'm only 13, so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CivilSigma
Actually, I have been thinking about McGill as choice #1.
And yea, I do need to sit down and research certain topics of interest.
Thanks for sharing the research info too.

-CivilSigma
 
  1. In Canada the school name tends not to matter as much. Certain schools will tend to have connections with specific segments or businesses in the industry so do your research. Find out where recent grads are ending up.
  2. Talk to your current professors and tell them what you are interested in learning more about. No one expects an undergrad to be an expert. If your current school has an engineering society, you could try contacting them too. They might be able to point you to specific profs who have research projects or connect you with current grad students who might have some inside information.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CivilSigma