Intro to Topology Recommended Texts

• Thread starter STEM2012
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I know there are some threads out there already, but none really help me (see my description below).

I am a high school student. My highest level of math education is Calculus I. I am currently taking Calculus II (although I already know the integration portion of this course).

I have no education in topology besides some simple knowledge from discrete math texts.

I need a topology text that is thorough, ideally has a solutions manual, and does NOT require knowledge of higher-level real/complex analysis.

Thanks in advance

Answers and Replies

Munkres will be your best bet. It starts from the very basics of set theory and it goes quite deep.
However, a lot of motivation for the things we do actually comes from real analysis. So it may very well happen that you find topology to be ill-motivated. But other than that, Munkres should be ideal for you.

Thanks micromass. Although its a bit pricy, my school is paying for it so I think I'll purchase it.

By the way, could you give me a good source for downloading the solutions manual. I've done some looking into that already, but everything I've found is incomplete and requires logging in through subscribing w/ pay (which I'd like to avoid).

Thanks micromass. Although its a bit pricy, my school is paying for it so I think I'll purchase it.

By the way, could you give me a good source for downloading the solutions manual. I've done some looking into that already, but everything I've found is incomplete and requires logging in through subscribing w/ pay (which I'd like to avoid).
I'm not aware that a solution manual even exists :frown: And I doubt you will find one without paying...

You're right about a nonexistent official solutions manual. I was looking at some solutions posted by other users, which I guess is the reason they were incomplete.

With that said, do you know of some other text that matches what I'm looking for AND has a solutions manual (either for free or for purchase, I guess it doesnt matter)? The reason why I really would prefer a solutions manual is because I'm using this text for an directed study and my high school teacher is not really familiar with topology.

Thanks a lot in advance

You're right about a nonexistent official solutions manual. I was looking at some solutions posted by other users, which I guess is the reason they were incomplete.

With that said, do you know of some other text that matches what I'm looking for AND has a solutions manual (either for free or for purchase, I guess it doesnt matter)? The reason why I really would prefer a solutions manual is because I'm using this text for an directed study and my high school teacher is not really familiar with topology.

Thanks a lot in advance
What about this one?

http://www.pdmi.ras.ru/~olegviro/topoman/index.html

It's not really a textbook, but rather a problem course. That is, you learn the material by solving problems. You can find a free version of the text on the website above. However, if you want a text that contains the proofs and solutions, then you'll have to pay for it.

To my (limited) knowledge, this is the only text with a solution manual.

You should consider https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070379882/?tag=pfamazon01-20&tag=pfamazon01-20. Schaum books contain many examples and solved problems (plus other problems without solutions). It probably will work best as a supplement to another text. You can preview parts of the book in the Amazon link. You also might be able to find a copy in a local bookstore and browse through it.

Last edited by a moderator:
@micromass. Thanks for the problem course link. I'll use it as a supplement to the Munkres text which I just ordered.

@Petek. Thanks for the idea. Like you said, it seems ideal as a supplement to another text since it is only an "outline."