Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Intro to Topology Recommended Texts

1. Aug 30, 2011 #1
    I know there are some threads out there already, but none really help me (see my description below).

I am a high school student. My highest level of math education is Calculus I. I am currently taking Calculus II (although I already know the integration portion of this course).

I have no education in topology besides some simple knowledge from discrete math texts.

I need a topology text that is thorough, ideally has a solutions manual, and does NOT require knowledge of higher-level real/complex analysis.

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Munkres will be your best bet. It starts from the very basics of set theory and it goes quite deep.
    However, a lot of motivation for the things we do actually comes from real analysis. So it may very well happen that you find topology to be ill-motivated. But other than that, Munkres should be ideal for you.

4. Aug 30, 2011 #3
    Thanks micromass. Although its a bit pricy, my school is paying for it so I think I'll purchase it.

By the way, could you give me a good source for downloading the solutions manual. I've done some looking into that already, but everything I've found is incomplete and requires logging in through subscribing w/ pay (which I'd like to avoid).

5. Aug 30, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I'm not aware that a solution manual even exists :frown: And I doubt you will find one without paying...

6. Aug 30, 2011 #5
    You're right about a nonexistent official solutions manual. I was looking at some solutions posted by other users, which I guess is the reason they were incomplete.

With that said, do you know of some other text that matches what I'm looking for AND has a solutions manual (either for free or for purchase, I guess it doesnt matter)? The reason why I really would prefer a solutions manual is because I'm using this text for an directed study and my high school teacher is not really familiar with topology.

Thanks a lot in advance

7. Aug 30, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What about this one?

http://www.pdmi.ras.ru/~olegviro/topoman/index.html

It's not really a textbook, but rather a problem course. That is, you learn the material by solving problems. You can find a free version of the text on the website above. However, if you want a text that contains the proofs and solutions, then you'll have to pay for it.

To my (limited) knowledge, this is the only text with a solution manual.

8. Aug 30, 2011 #7
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  9. Aug 30, 2011 #8
    @micromass. Thanks for the problem course link. I'll use it as a supplement to the Munkres text which I just ordered.

@Petek. Thanks for the idea. Like you said, it seems ideal as a supplement to another text since it is only an "outline."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook