Introduction to the development of Quantum Mechanics

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book that covers the historical development of Quantum Mechanics, including the experiments that led to its discoveries. The person asking the question is interested in learning about the development of the theory, not just the formalisms taught in lectures. Manjit Kumar's book, "Quantum," is recommended, as well as two Russian books by Trigg that cover crucial experiments in modern physics. However, it is suggested that the original papers may be the best resource for this information.
nick41
Hello! I would like to find a book which covers the historical development of Quantum Mechanics from which I can learn which experiments lead to which discoveries. In lectures you usually only get taught formalisms, but I would really like to know how the theory was developed.
Can you tell me, which book I could look into? Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
nick41 said:
Hello! I would like to find a book which covers the historical development of Quantum Mechanics from which I can learn which experiments lead to which discoveries. In lectures you usually only get taught formalisms, but I would really like to know how the theory was developed.
Can you tell me, which book I could look into? Thanks in advance!

Manjit Kumar: Quantum
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0393339882/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Great book, highly recommended.

Cheers,

Jazz

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps the books in Russian

Tригг Дж.(Trigg G.L.) Решающие эксперименты в современной физике(Crucial experiments in modern physics, 1971) Мир 1974
Тригг Дж. (Trigg G.) Физика ХХ века: ключевые эксперименты (Physics of the twentieth century: the key experiments) Мир 1978

I do not know any similar book in English. Probably the original papers are the best for your purpose.

1. What is Quantum Mechanics?

Quantum Mechanics is a branch of physics that describes the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and particles.

2. What led to the development of Quantum Mechanics?

The study of the behavior of light and atoms in the late 19th and early 20th century led to the development of Quantum Mechanics. Scientists noticed that classical physics was unable to explain certain phenomena at the atomic level.

3. Who were the key scientists involved in the development of Quantum Mechanics?

The key scientists involved in the development of Quantum Mechanics include Max Planck, Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Werner Heisenberg, Erwin Schrödinger, and Paul Dirac.

4. What are the key principles of Quantum Mechanics?

The key principles of Quantum Mechanics include the wave-particle duality, uncertainty principle, superposition, and entanglement. These principles describe the probabilistic nature of particles at the quantum level.

5. How has Quantum Mechanics impacted our understanding of the world?

Quantum Mechanics has revolutionized our understanding of the world and has led to advancements in technology, such as transistors and lasers. It has also challenged our classical understanding of reality and has opened up new avenues for scientific exploration.